The problem: A stuffy blocked nose is a very common symptom in the adult population. Experts have noted that people with chronic blocked noses are increasing, especially in cities, due to air pollution. Smokers are also more frequently affected.
The symptoms include dry mouth, headache, impaired smell, and recurrent sinusitis. In some people the other unpleasant side effect is that they may suffer with snoring.
When your nose starts to block, the natural reaction is to start breathing through your mouth. The down side is that mouth breathing tends to shift the oxygen and carbon dioxide balance. The body, in trying to rectify this balance, causes the nasal passages to become even more constricted making the situation even worse.
The “Nasal Cycle” always means that one side of the nose will be open, the other relatively blocked, from time to time and side to side during the day and night.
The treatment: If you have unsuccessfully tried a variety of drug treatments, including antihistamine tablets and nose sprays (steroid and anti histamine), the only solution is to remove the mucous that obstructs the airway.
To do this, so far, in the past you would have had to go through a surgery performed under general anesthesia, with a risk of bleeding (in 1% of cases), and with dressing in the nose for several hours.
The Private Clinic offers a much quicker and simpler laser treatment under local anesthetic. A single session of five minutes is enough to “clear” the nose instantly. After the laser session, the patient feels no pain, no dressing is required, there are no nosebleeds, and it is possible to resume normal activities immediately.
For over 20 years thousands of people have been treated with this technique.
Results: Results are stable for at least ten years and in case of recurrence, it is possible to have another laser session.
Downtime: The inside of the nose may crust slightly for the first week. Full recovery takes about 10 days. Inferior Turbinectomy is not usually a painful procedure in the postoperative phase.
Our team: The Private Clinic has treated more patients than any other UK clinic and our surgeons have extensive experience in this field. We offer the latest laser procedures to treat blocked nose and snoring and we have done so for the past 28 years.
Some of your questions answered
Commonly, a blocked nose is due to an allergy, an infection, a virus or an out of balance breathing system.
The condition, called obstructive rhinitis is characterized by a permanent swelling of the nasal mucosa. Patients with nose blockage due to swelling of the lining of the nose over structures (called the inferior turbinates) might benefit from laser surgery.
The Advantages of our treatments include:
– Simple walk-in walk-out procedures
– No general anaesthetic. No hospital stay
– Only 15 minutes under local anaesthetic
– No downtime, go back to normal life straightway
– Highly experienced ENT surgeons
The best way to start is a free consultation.
1. Our helpline advisors will answer any general queries you may have and will be able to make an appointment for you at one of our clinics – in London, Bristol, Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds – or at one of our consultation rooms across the UK.
2. Your initial consultation will last about 30 minutes and will include a physical examination of your nose . We will ask you about your medical history and your symptoms. The consultation is free and there is no obligation to go ahead with any treatment.
3. If we believe you could benefit from one of our procedures, you will be explained what treatment is most suitable to treat your condition and you will be provided with a written quote.
A 10 months interest free financing scheme is available.
4. On the day of treatment, your surgeon will explain once again the procedure and will discuss with you what results you are likely to achieve. Treatment is also available on most Saturdays.
5. The treatment itself takes only 15 minutes.
6. We will contact you to monitor your recovery and a patient coordinator will be available over the phone should you have any question after treatment.
Many of our patients come to the clinic having suffered for a long time. In our experience far too many patients attend the clinics having put up with sleep problems for years.