What’s on this page
- About this Treatment
- Before & Afters
- What to Expect
- Our Clinics
- Things to Consider
- Patient Stories
- Why the Private Clinic
- Meet the Surgeons
- Related Blogs & News
Medically reviewed by Lorcan Sheppard BSc MBBS FRCA, Chief Medical Officer for The Private Clinic of Harley Street, London.
Last Reviewed November 16th 2023
Related Cosmetic Surgery
Inverted & Flat Nipple Surgery
Many people feel embarrassed about their inverted nipples or flat nipples, which can also result in a lack of confidence, leaving them feeling self-conscious and insecure about their bodies.
Although it’s a subject that isn’t discussed as often as it should be, surgical nipple corrections are not at all uncommon. Correcting inverted and flat nipples is a quick and simple procedure which can be performed under local anaesthetic on women and men.
What causes a flat or inverted nipple?
Nipple inversion causes include:
- When the breast ducts are too short.
- Tightening of the duct’s tissue due to an imbalance in traction between them and the smooth muscle that keeps nipples erect.
- Too much connective tissue in the nipple.
What are the three different grades of flat and inverted nipples?
- Grade 1: The nipples occasionally become evert due to stimuli such as temperature or arousal. They can be made to protrude and stay that way, by manipulating them with your fingers. Breastfeeding is usually possible in this case.
- Grade 2: Nipples can be made to protrude but won’t stay evert without finger pressure. Here breastfeeding can be problematic at times.
- Grade 3: The nipples are completely retracted and flat. They can’t be pulled out even with physical manipulation. If the nipples are constricted, you may not be able to breastfeed.
Where can I correct inverted or flat nipples?
The Private Clinic and our expert breast surgeons have been carrying out nipple correction procedures for decades and giving confidence back to many. Inverted and Flat Nipple Correction Surgery consultations are offered at our London, Birmingham, Buckinghamshire (virtual consultation only), Northampton, Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds clinics.
Read Mr Adrian Richards, Consultant Plastic Surgeon at The Private Clinic’s comments on nipple correction surgery here.
Inverted Nipple Correction for Men
We are also able to perform inverted nipple correction for men who are experiencing flat or inverted nipple/s. The procedure is performed in the same way however no milk ducts are cut. In most cases, inverted nipples in men are caused by tethering, so whatever is holding the nipple in the inverted position will be cut.
How does inverted or flat nipple surgery work?
Consultant Plastic Surgeon, Mr Adrian Richards explains how an inverted nipple correction procedure works to release the inverted nipple.
Inverted Nipple Correction, Flat Nipple Surgery at a glance
24 – 48 hours
Up & Mobile
4 – 6 weeks
Back to work
2 – 3 days
2 – 3 weeks
Full Recovery Time
Sleeping elevated on back for 2 weeks
6 – 12 months
For further information such as FAQs, before and after photos and our expert Plastic surgeons see below.
Inverted & Flat Nipple Correction Before & After Photos
Our Consultant Breast surgeons are experts in flat and inverted nipple correction procedures.
Take a look at the Before and After photos to see how we can help.
What to Expect
The Private Clinic has been treating patients for over 40 years with thousands of women placing their trust in us each year. We pride ourselves on being able to offer a personalised service. We have a team of friendly nurses and expert breast surgeons who understand the importance of this decision and will support you throughout your journey with us.
Inverted or Flat nipple correction consultations will take place with one of our expert plastic surgeons.
During this consultation, your surgeon will be able to assess your suitability for surgery and discuss the options available.
Your surgeon will then also:
- Review your medical history
- Discuss your expectations from surgery
- Detail the risks and complications of Inverted Nipple surgery
- Go through the aftercare and recovery process
You will then be allocated a dedicated patient coordinator who will be your point of contact should you wish to go ahead with the procedure.
In the interests of patient safety all our patients are assessed against our patient selection criteria.
Following your inverted nipple consultation your medical history will be reviewed and the pre-operative nurse will choose which pre-operative tests you require.
They will also advise you of any precautions you need to take in the days or weeks leading up to your inverted nipple correction procedure and advise on any medication that you should stop taking ahead of your procedure.
Inverted Nipple Correction Surgery
The procedure lasts approximately 30 minutes (15mins on each side) and is performed under local anaesthetic. Nipple Correction can also be performed in conjunction with other procedures such as Breast Augmentation or Breast Reduction.
You will be given an admission time to arrive at the hospital, this is usually an hour before your surgery start time.
- The nursing team will record your blood pressure and prep you for surgery.
- You will meet with the surgeon who will go through the procedure again and answer any questions.
- Pre-operative photos will be taken.
- Local anaesthetic will be administered to the areas being treated.
- A small incision will be made at the base of the nipple.
- If the inversion is mild to moderate, then the surgeon will look to stretch the milk ducts that are pulling the nipple inwards.
- If your nipple inversion is more severe than your surgeon may choose to instead cut, or divide, the milk ducts.
- Once the surgeon stretches or cuts the milk ducts, they will use stitches to secure the nipple in its new projected position
- The incision is closed, and dressing applied to the nipple.
- You will be taken to one of the recovery rooms.
- Once the surgeon and nursing team are happy that you are safe you return home, you will be discharged and allowed to leave accompanied by a family member or friend.
After your inverted nipple procedure
You will have been given details of how to contact us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week should you have any worries or concerns during your recovery time.
We recommend that patients allow 2-3 days before returning to work following an inverted nipple procedure to allow any initial discomfort to subside. You will have been provided with all the post-op medication and instructions on how to take by your surgeon.
You will need to avoid exercise and strenuous activities for 2 weeks.
You will be required to attend a series of follow-up appointments at The Private Clinic which include a 1-week check-up appointment with a nurse and then your 6-week post-operative appointment with your surgeon. At this stage you should be back to your everyday activities and your surgeon will be able to advise you on anything that you are unsure of or have questions about.
The Private Clinic have collaborated with Chrysalis Finance to offer 0% finance for our patients.*
*Acceptance is subject to status. Terms and conditions apply.
Things to Consider
Our advice on what to consider when deciding to have a nipple correction procedure:
1. When choosing a clinic, you should always do your research, and only go to an established, reputable clinic.
The Private Clinic has been in the cosmetic surgery industry for over 40 years. We are here to answer all of your questions and give you peace of mind.
2. When choosing a surgeon, make sure you know who you’ll be seeing. Their expertise, qualifications and patient satisfaction rate are important factors to take into consideration.
At The Private Clinic, we only source the most experienced and specialised surgeons. Find out more about our plastic surgeons here.
3. Price should never be the deciding factor when choosing where to have your treatment. Safety should be your number one priority and feeling confident that they will look after you – not only before, but also after your procedure
4. When it sounds too good to be true, it often is. Always find out what your clinic’s reputation is.
Our excellent reputation for patient safety and satisfaction, honest advice and outstanding care means your journey with The Private Clinic will be an exciting experience to a newfound shape.
Inverted & Flat Nipple Patient Stories
Outstanding care, patient satisfaction and results mean everything to The Private Clinic Team
“I didn’t want to waste any more of my life not being fully happy in myself.”