Facial Thread Veins
Facial veins are very common as there are many different causes from genetics to sun exposure. Although thread veins are not usually dangerous they can be an unsightly concern for those affected.
Facial veins are usually thread veins which can also be referred to as spider veins, broken blood vessels, broken capillaries, facial telangiectasia and rosacea veins. They are usually no cause for medical concern but can leave patients feeling self-conscious and less confident about their appearance. Facial thread veins are red, blue or purple in colour and can appear all over the face but most commonly on the cheeks, chin, around the nose and under the eyes.
Thread veins on the face are typically broken blood vessels that have become more noticeable.
What causes veins on the face?
- Genetics – Some patients unfortunately are just predisposed to developing facial thread veins, especially if they notice other members of their family having them.
- Age – As patients age, their skin becomes thinner and starts to loose elasticity which can cause veins to become more noticeable under the surface of the skin.
- Rosacea – Patients who have rosacea may find themselves more susceptible to developing facial thread veins as their skin is often red and flushed due to enlarged veins.
- Illness – Sudden changes in pressure such as sneezing, blowing your nose or vomiting can also cause small broken blood vessels to appear so if you have been unwell recently this may indirectly be the cause.
- Sun Exposure – Excessive exposure to the sun can cause free radical damage resulting in the blood vessels in your face to becoming enlarged which makes them more noticeable from the surface of your skin.
- Environment – Exposing your skin to certain chemicals or environmental pollutants may damage the skin’s surface which can make thread veins more visible.
- Temperature Changes – A sudden change in temperature may have an impact on your circulation. Some patients may notice their face being flushed which can result in blood vessels bursting causing a spider vein to appear.
- Trauma – Bruising after an injury can cause broken blood vessels however these often heal and disappear along with the bruised skin.
- Lifestyle – Lifestyle changes can include not exercising enough or exercising too much and suffering from too much stress. Eyestrain and insomnia can also result in spider vein formation on the face.
- Pregnancy – Hormonal changes in the body may cause broken blood vessels to appear close to the surface of the skin. In most instances, these thread veins will disappear after giving birth.
- Alcohol – Excessive or frequent alcohol consumption can lead to long-lasting blood vessel damage which can cause spider veins and redness to appear on the face.
The Private Clinic is a UK centre of excellence for the minimally invasive treatment of veins. Whether you suffer from varicose veins, facial veins, spider veins or thread veins on legs, we provide the highest standard of clinical care and the latest technologies available in the industry. The Private Clinic has carried out over 7,000 procedures in treating Veins.
Ask us a question
Facial Thread Veins Before & After Photos
We are one of the UK’s centres of excellence for minimally invasive treatments for vein problems. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent results and aftercare in Vein procedures. See our before and after facial thread vein photos from our specialist vascular surgeons below. The best option is to book a consultation to discuss the best procedure for you and to see more before and after photos for vein removal.
What to Expect
The Private Clinic has been treating patients for over 40 years with thousands of people placing their trust in us each year. We pride ourselves on being able to offer a personalised service. We have a team of friendly nurses and expert surgeons who understand the importance of this decision and will support you throughout your journey with us.
Facial Thread Veins Treatment
We have a couple of different treatment options for facial thread veins here at The Private Clinic. All treatments are non-surgical, minimally invasive and don’t require a huge downtime.
IPL Photo Rejuvenation
Intense Pulse Light (IPL) is a non-invasive skin treatment that uses IPL technology to help improve and reduce the appearance of facial thread veins. The advanced technology advanced technology allow us to customise treatments for different skin tones and conditions.
- The treatments begins with a quick cleanse of the skin before protective eyewear is placed over the eyes to protect them from the light.
- The IPL hand piece will then be gently placed onto the skin where it will emit an intense pulsed light.
- This light works to heat up the vein causing the vein to then collapse and be naturally absorbed by the body.
- IPL devices can produce different types of pulsed light making it an ideal treatment for different variations of facial veins.
- IPL only affects the lower layers of the skin allowing it to reach the spider veins without causing damage to the surface of the skin.
- IPL also has an added benefit for pigmentation and sun spots, giving an overall rejuvenated appearance to the face.
Cutera CoolGlide / ND YAG
Cutera CoolGlide is a non-invasive laser treatment also known as ND YAG that can be used to treat individual veins on the face or legs.
- The treatment will begin with cleansing the face and then protective eyewear will be placed over the eyes.
- The CoolGlide hand piece will be passed over the skin delivering pulses of light energy over the skin which causes the blood in the thread veins to coagulate resulting in the vessel closing.
- Once closed, the thread vein will then be re-absorbed by the body and blood is redirected to deeper veins where it will not be visible.
After Facial Thread Vein Treatment
Improvements will be seen a week after each IPL treatment but the best results are seen 3-5 months after your last treatment. We recommend that patients have a course of 5 IPL treatments spaced 4 weeks apart.
Most patients start to see an improvement in the appearance of their facial veins within 2-6 weeks after Cutera CoolGlide treatment but the final results may take 3-5 months to be fully seen. The number of treatments required will depend on the amount, size and colour of the veins being treated but we usually recommend, 3 treatments spaced 6-8 weeks apart
You may notice a little redness and in rare cases, bruising on the skin near the treated spider veins after IPL or Cutera CoolGlide treatment this should fade within week. Following IPL the skin can be a little swollen this will subside within the first 48 hours. You will need to avoid sun exposure for 3-4 weeks by using a high SPF sunscreen.