Earlier this week the Daily Mail wrote about the latest treatment for painful varicose veins in the form of hot steam. The device that’s smaller than a matchstick, sprays super-hot steam into blood vessels to treat painful varicose veins. Instantly this caught our attention as it maybe the ‘next best thing’!
The steam ablation treatment is said to shrink and destroy swollen veins. However the technique is very similar to the EVLA (Endovenous Laser Ablation).
EVLA is a minimally invasive technique to close the varicose veins. In the first instance an ultrasound scan is carried out to mark the position of the vein. Local anaesthetic is injected around the vein and a fine probe is then inserted through a small incision, usually near the knee. Laser energy is delivered in short pulses to seal the faulty vein so that blood cannot flow through. The leg is then bandaged to reduce swelling and bruising.
The Steam Vein Sclerosis (SVS) system mentioned in the Daily Mail, consists of a steam generator and hand piece that injects tiny pulses or puffs of steam via a catheter into the vein. The treatment is carried out under local anaesthetic and produces temperatures of up to 120c to heat the vein which causes the walls to collapse. The catheter is then slowly pulled back to ensure that the entire vein is treated.
So the principle is the same, heat is used to close off the vein and as such it is not an advancement in technique. Our Vascular surgeons have had a 95% success rate with the EVLA technique and praise from each of our patients has been very high! However we thought we would test the waters with this steam technique and brought it to our surgeons’ attention, the response, “A success rate of 13 out of 20 in one year (65%) ……… Thanks but no thanks!”
Our dedication and commitment in bringing the latest techniques to the market is extremely high and our surgeons support just this, on the condition that the latest techniques are effective which is why we will not be including Steam Vein Sclerosis (SVS) into our varicose vein treatment options for the time being.
When you come for a consultation at The Private Clinic for Varicose Veins, our expert vascular surgeons will offer your a free ultrasound scan of the legs to ensure they have a detailed analysis in order to be able to recommend the most suitable treatment for your individual case.
- Foam Sclerotherapy
All of the varicose vein treatments we offer, we believe will give patients the best results. We prioritise using the least invasive vascular treatments which are all performed under local anaesthetic and do not require any large incisions, overnight stay or downtime. The majority of our patients are able to return to their everyday activities within 24 hours following treatment including work.
Why choose The Private Clinic for Varicose Vein Removal?
- The least invasive methods for varicose veins and thread veins removal treatment for your legs, body and face.
- Our Consultant vascular surgeons are pioneers in EVLA(Endovenous Laser Ablation) and have treated thousands of patients.
- No lengthy downtime or recovery required.
- The NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) Gold Standard for treatment of Varicose Veins findings show that the success rate after five years for EVLA is 95.4%.
- A consultation with one of our Consultant Vascular Surgeons costs £150, including a free ultrasound scan of your legs (usually priced between £350 and £450 at most clinics and private hospitals).
- We focus on the underlying cause of your veins and you will only see a Consultant Vascular surgeon for varicose veins.
- We have treated thousands of patients who have regained their confidencewhilst avoiding health issues.
- Treatment takes one hour, you can go home shortly after being treated.
- Owing to our success, we have been featured on Channel 4’s Embarrassing Bodies , TLC’s My Naked Secret and featured in Harper’s Bazaar’s Cosmetic Tweakment Trends for 2019.
- We have carried out over 7,000 procedures in treating Veins.
- View our varicose vein before and after photos.
- Read our extensive varicose vein FAQs.
- Take a look at our varicose vein patient stories.
- Find out more information in our varicose vein blogs.
- Download our varicose veins brochure.
We offer Varicose Veins consultations at our nationwide clinics in London Harley Street, Bexhill, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester and Northampton with one of our consultant vascular specialists.
Expert Vascular Surgeons
- Mr Constantinos Kyriakides, MD, FRCS(Gen). GMC 3275436
- Mr Dynesh Rittoo, MBChB, FRCS(Eng), FRCS(Gen Surg). GMC 3556456
- Mr Charles Ranaboldo, BM, FRCS, MS. GMC Number: 2939195
- Professor Rajiv Kumar Vohra, MBBS. GMC Number: 3158700
- Mr Tahir Hussain, MBBS,MS, FRCS. GMC Number: 3242669
- Mr Rajiv Pathak, MBBS, MS, FRCS, FRCS(Gen). GMC Number: 4585309
- Mr Ferdinand Serracino-Inglott, MD, FRCSI, FRCS(Gen), DIC MSc. GMC Number: 5206200
To find out more about varicose vein treatments at The Private Clinic or to book a consultation, please call 0333 920 2471 or use our Varicose Vein online contact form.