What to Avoid for Your Hair Transplant? We Give Our Tips for Anyone Considering FUE Hair Transplants
HAIR LOSS & HAIR TRANSPLANTS
Here at The Private Clinic we perform advanced FUE hair transplants, which go beyond the standard practices as we have a medical team at the top of their game, helping to push the limits of science and provide the latest hair transplant techniques. We also make sure you are well informed about the risks and help you to manage your expectations. As part of our commitment to honest advice, we have drawn together some of the most common things to avoid when having a hair transplant.
You should avoid exercise during the initial healing period after the procedure because excessive sweating increases the risk of infection. This also means no soothing visits to saunas and steam rooms. Exercise can usually be continued after 2 weeks.
Spicy food should also be avoided before and around the procedure as the body’s response to spices (however accustomed you may be to spices) interferes with the stable conditions ideal for the procedure. Ultimately, it is up to you to make the procedure a success.
The procedure will not go ahead if you are intoxicated and it is important not to drink before, during and for approximately a week after the procedure. Alcohol is a drug that can affect the blood supply to the head and the healing process.
The Fear of Pain
Fearing pain is unnecessary with our advanced FUE hair transplants. If you may be concerned about the pain of the procedure, it’s good to know that many patients naturally fall asleep during the procedure. A recent case study reported that he could only feel a touching and gently pulling sensation. When he felt some discomfort it was voiced and immediately dealt with by the hair transplant surgeon. There are a number of things we can do to mitigate pain and discomfort with our procedures so there is nothing to fear.
Reputable clinics will not perform the procedure on someone who is a regular or recent drug user, for patient and clinic safety. We are confidential and professional in our services and treatments so ask questions (email/call us or come to a consultation) if this is relevant to you.
Lying to Your Clinic
The clinic should be there to help and importantly protect you. You must be honest with your medical history and habits. We want you to achieve the best result possible and sometimes patients will withhold important information that may determine their suitability. Your health is so important for your happiness so please don’t risk unnecessary complications.
Chemicals on Your Hair
Some patients are used to using chemicals on their hair to help straighten it out but they can have a damaging effect if used too frequently and particular caution should be taken after a hair transplant if this has been or could be a factor in your hair loss. Consult with your surgeon about the suitability of the products you intend to use post-hair transplant to be safe.
Minoxidil & Finasteride
The use of minoxidil (brands = Regaine) and finasteride (brands = Propecia) in the lead up to and soon after the procedure needs to be discussed with your surgeon. Advice will be given about the use of hair loss medication, to ensure the effects do not affect the hair transplant procedure. A a good clinic should discuss this as part of the consultation process, so don’t worry about trying to remember everything.
Of course, in order to maintain hair loss from thinning and balding regions (in male pattern baldness cases), continuing or starting to use these two approved medical treatments is advisable post-procedure and will be discussed with your hair transplant surgeon.
A Bad Diet
It isn’t essential if you have a good, balanced and healthy diet but a number of people take multivitamins in the run up to a hair transplant to help give their body a boost. A healthy body has a lot more chance of responding very well to the transplant so it’s in your best interest to eat healthily before, during and after the FUE Hair Transplant procedure.
Hair Transplant Procedures at The Private Clinic
The Private Clinic of Harley Street offers the latest and most advanced FUE Hair Transplant procedures available, including hair transplants to the beard and eyebrows. Hair Transplants are the only permanent hair loss solution.
The Private Clinic prides itself on ensuring you have the best quality and most comprehensive care:
- FUE is a minimally invasive treatment, carried out under local anaesthetic.
- We use the finest instruments, resulting in as minimal trauma to your scalp as possible.
- Highly experienced Hair Transplant Surgeons who have many years of experience in FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and treat hundreds of patients every year.
- You won’t require any stitches after your treatment which means that the recovery time is reduced when compared to the Strip (FUT) surgery.
- Thanks to our advanced skills and techniques, results can be undetectable.
- You’ll be free to wear your hair long or short post-treatment with minimal scarring.
- We work by hair, not per graft – this ensures that only the strongest, healthiest follicles are selected for your transplant procedure.
- Hair is implanted in the direction that matches your hair growth meaning your results will look natural, with denser packing.
- 24 hour patient helpline to ensure you are always in the best of hands.
- Expert aftercare advice and regular post-operative appointments with your hair transplant surgeon.
- Comprehensive patient information, every step of the way.
- Outstanding clinic facilities.
- Our excellent reputation for patient safety and satisfaction, honest advice and outstanding care means your journey with The Private Clinic will be an exciting experience to a newfound head of hair.
- Our surgeons are the only surgeons in the UK offering the Unshaven Hair Transplant (U-FUE) to those who prefer not to shave beforehand. At your consultation, we will be able to advise you on whether an unshaven procedure is suitable for you.
- We offer FUE Hair Transplant for scar repair from past hair transplant procedures. Find out more here.
- View our gallery of Hair transplant before and after results
- Hear from previous hair transplant patients in our patient stories and videos
- Read our extensive hair transplant FAQs
- Find out more in our hair transplant blogs
Expert Hair Transplant Surgeons at The Private Clinic
- Dr Furqan Raja is a highly skilled hair transplant surgeon located at our clinics in London, Manchester and Leeds.
- Mr Michael Mouzakis is a highly experienced hair transplant surgeon based at our London and Northampton clinics.
- Dr Luca De Fazio is a leading FUE hair transplant surgeon in Europe and is located at our London Harley Street and Birmingham clinics.
- Dr Ismail Ughratdar is a highly regarded hair restoration surgeon based at our Birmingham clinic.
Hair Transplant treatment is available at our London Harley Street, Birmingham, Manchester, Northampton and Leeds clinics. To find out more about FUE Hair Transplants call 0333 920 2471 or use our hair transplant online contact form.