Hair transplants in the celebrity world are becoming more and more common with plenty of male stars admitting to having the treatment and sharing their stories.
‘Doing the Rooney’ referencing footballer Wayne Rooney, who publicly announced his hair transplant treatment back in 2011, he has since returned to Harley Street for a second treatment in 2013.
From his initial announcement, plenty more male celebrities have followed suit, no longer feeling ashamed and openly admitting to having the treatment in order to boost their confidence.
Calum Best is another male celebrity who is not ashamed of letting everyone know about his procedures. He recently had a third hair transplant in 2015 before his Celebrity Big Brother appearance. The son of footballing legend George Best has said:
“It was nature’s plan was for me to have thin and patchy hair across the top of my scalp. But the great thing is, we don’t have to follow nature’s plan. Hair transplant technology has improved so much in the last five years and I have been able to keep hold of all my hair and wear it in my the same way as I did when I was in my teens.”
But hair transplants go further than the footballing world, celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey has also admitted to having treatment after suffering from an allergic reaction to the anaesthetic. This left him with a swollen face shortly after, which can be common with FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) so it is always important to discuss any allergies with your surgeon before-hand. Ramsey has also since gone on to have a reported second procedure which left him sporting an unusual hairstyle one evening, a tell-tale sign of FUE.
Actor James Nesbitt has become an advocate for hair transplants. Speaking in a promotional video he states how losing his hair was not only a concern but it soon became an addiction. Being in the public eye made him more aware of his hair loss issues. He goes on to say how he has chosen to use his positive experience of surgery to help others considering hair restoration treatment and the importance of doing your research and finding the best clinic and surgeon that will make you feel confident with your decision.
Australian choreographer and Dancing on Ice judge, Jason Gardiner has gone through his hair restoration treatment in the public eye also. Gardiner previously admitted in 2007 to having intense laser treatments and a hair transplant which involved using donor hair to be placed onto his head, a treatment which he said did not work and since that point decided to accept the fact that he was losing his hair. Used to seeing Gardiner in his trademark caps it was a surprise for him to reveal on TV during an episode of Dancing on Ice in 2011 that he had a head full of hair once more!
It has since emerged that Jason Gardiner went through with a hair transplant procedure called ‘Follicular Unit Transplantation’ but it was 9 months of secrecy before he revealed his new do to the public due to the time it takes for new hair to grow following the procedure.
Geordie Shore star Kyle Christie is a surprisingly young star to undergo a hair transplant at the age of 24. Hair transplant specialists at The Private Clinic have said that it is not uncommon for men to get the treatment at his age, particularly if hair loss is hereditary.
In the press most recently is Kylie Minogue’s fiancé Joshua Sasse, as he’s been sporting an array of elaborate hats and scarves in an attempt to cover up his recovering scalp perhaps. Looking at before images you may not instantly recognise him as being an obvious candidate for the procedure but as mentioned by James Nesbitt previously, any type of hair loss or thinning for men can not only be a concern, but it can become an addiction and can affect anyone’s confidence significantly.
Of course, just because you may not be a budding Hollywood actor or TV personality doesn’t mean you are any less of a candidate for a hair transplant procedure. However, reading these celebrity stories does give you some points to consider before going ahead with treatment;
- You may need more than one treatment.
- It is a surgical procedure and not a decision to make lightly.
- You must do your research.
- You may have to shave your head or sport a slightly different hairstyle for a period of time afterwards.
- Do not expect instant results.
- Do not be ashamed of considering treatment if you are young. Speak to a specialist who will be able to advise you on your best options to reduce hair loss going forward which may not require surgical treatment.
- Have a good collection of hats and headgear for post-surgery recovery.
Novelty hats aside, a hair transplant is a serious procedure and it is important that you do your research into the different types of treatments and see as many specialists as you can to get the best idea of what you will be able to achieve.
Hair Restoration at The Private Clinic
The Private Clinic of Harley Street offers the latest and most advanced FUE Hair Transplant procedures available, including hair transplants to the face and eyebrows. Hair Transplants are the only permanent hair loss solution.
The Private Clinic prides itself on ensuring you have the best quality and most comprehensive care:
- 24-hour patient helpline to ensure you are always in the best of hands.
- As many post-operative care and appointments with your Hair Transplant surgeon and the nursing team as required.
- Highly experienced Hair Transplant Surgeons who have many years of experience.
- Comprehensive patient information, every step of the way.
- Outstanding hospital facilities.
- Our excellent reputation for patient safety and satisfaction, honest advice and outstanding care means your journey with The Private Clinic will be an exciting experience to a newfound head of hair.
- Extensive videos of past patients click here
- Extensive Hair Transplant FAQs click here
- Extensive Hair Transplant before and after photos click here
- Dr Raghu Reddy MBBS, MRCHP, DPD, GMC Number: 6041095
- Dr Luca De Fazio MD, BSc, MSc, GMC Number: 7095123
- Dr Michael Mouzakis S.C.F in Plastic Surgery, GMC Number: 7237640
- Dr Ismail Ughratdar, MB ChB, GMC Number: 6103427
- Dr Furqan Raja, MB ChB, GMC Number: 7419667
Our team of advanced Trichologists are able to offer expert advice and treatment in diseases of the scalp and hair and will work with you to find out the best way to restore your hairline, even if a transplant isn’t going to be the right solution for you.
To find out more about FUE Hair Transplants call 0333 920 2471 or use our hair transplant online contact form.