There are a wide range of different breast surgery options and knowing which one is right for you can be tricky. Knowing what concerns you the most about your breasts is the best place to start; whether it is feeling that your breasts are too small, too big, uneven, too low or tuberous – will determine the right type of procedure to help you achieve the best outcome.
The best way to find out which is most suitable is to visit a specialist breast surgeon. The surgeon will listen to your concerns, examine your chest and then deliver their recommendations on which procedure they think will be best whilst making clear what you can realistically expect to achieve from surgery. In the meantime, here is a helpful guide to help you understand the different types of breast surgery procedures available.
Also known as; Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants, Boob Job, Breast Augmentation with Implants
A breast enlargement is the ideal choice for patients who are looking to increase the size of their breast. The procedure involves making a small incision usually in the inframammary fold beneath the breast and inserting an implant. Breast implants come in a variety of sizes, shapes and profiles to help give patients the look they are dreaming of.
Also known as; Mastopexy, Breast Lift
A mastopexy is a great option for patients who are looking to improve the shape of their breasts. Sagging of the breast is often something that happens over time, but it can also be caused by pregnancy, weight change and menopause. A breast lift involves surgically removing excess skin from the breast, the skin of the breast is then tightened, and the nipple is moved to a higher position on the chest – this gives an overall more uplifted appearance to the chest. A breast uplift can also be combined with breast implants if the patient wants an increase in size.
Also known as reduction mammoplasty
A breast reduction is best for patients who are looking to reduce the size of their breasts. The procedure removes excess skin and tissue from the breast before tightening the skin and moving the nipple to a higher position. The procedure is similar to a mastopexy however a reduction removes tissue but a mastopexy only removes skin, so if patients are looking to reduce the size of their breast then this would be the better choice.
Breast Implant Replacement
Also known as; Breast Implant Exchange, Breast implant removal and replacement, Exchange of implants
Breast implant replacement is when patients want to remove their current breast implants but have them replaced with similar or different variations of implants. This procedure is requested by patients who may feel their implants are too big or for medical reasons such as development of capsular contracture or the implants have ruptured. When it comes to replacing implants, patients can choose from the same sized implant or implants that may be bigger, smaller or a different profiles size from their original ones. The surgeon will aim to use the same incision to remove your old implants and insert your new implants.
Breast Implant Removal
Also known as; Breast Explant
Breast implant removal is when the breast implant is removed, and no further surgery is performed. It is ideal for patients who just want their implants to be removed. This could be due to dislike of the appearance or for medical reasons. The surgeon will aim to remove the implants via the same incision that they were inserted. In most cases, the breasts will return to how they were prior to surgery but they may look empty initially after surgery before the skin has had a change to retract and heal.
Breast Auto Augmentation
Also known as; MIRAR (Mastopexy implant removal and reconstruction)
A breast auto augmentation is ideal for patients who would like their implants removed but are concerned about the appearance of their breast post-surgery. A breast auto augmentation is a breast implant removal and reconstruction procedure to help patients achieve the appearance of an implant using their natural breast tissue. Once the implant is removed from the breast, the surgeon will relocate the patients breast tissue into the upper pole, relocate the nipple higher on the chest and then remove any excess skin which results in natural full and uplifted breasts.
Breast Surgeons at The Private Clinic
At The Private Clinic breast surgery is performed by some of the UK’s top consultant plastic surgeons who have decades of experience and specialist experience in breast surgery.
- Mr Adrian Richards, MBBS, MSc, FRCS (Plast.) GMC Number: 3286812
- Mr Navid Jallali BSc MB ChB (Hons) MD FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 4404969
- Mr Dario Rochira BS, MD GMC Number: 6130664
- Mr Davood Fallahdar FRCS (Plast) Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Plastic) GMC Number: 4686602
- Ms Lyndsey Highton, BM BCh (Oxon) MA FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 6128243
- Mr Philip Lim BSc (Hons), MB ChB, AFRCS (Ed), MRCS (Eng), FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 4219068
- Mr Olubowale, MB ChB, MSc (Sheffield), FRCSI, FRCSI (Gen Surg) GMC Number 6044974
- Mr Maisam Fazel MA(Cantab) MB BChir MSEd FRCS GMC Number: 4767420
- Mr Mobinulla Syed MBBS, MSc, PhD, FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 6035480
- Mr Prashant Govilkar, MBBS MS MCh FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 4258041
- Mr Adel Fattah, FRCS (Plast.) GMC Number: 4764599
- Mr Kenneth Kok MBChB MRCS MSc (Hons) FRCS (plast) GMC Number: 4701147
Why choose The Private Clinic?
- We provide a 10-year implant warranty with £1000 towards your surgical costs.
- Expert Cosmetic surgeons see our before and after results here.
- Dedicated post-operative care and appointments with your surgeon and nursing team, including a 24-hour help line.
- Peace of mind with our personal three-year aftercare breast cover.
- The Private Clinic covers a lifetime guarantee on your implant.
- We have state of the art hospital facilities.
- Giving you the best results and patient care is our priority we have a 5-star Trust Pilot rating.
- Locations in London Harley Street, Birmingham, Bristol, Buckinghamshire, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester and Northampton.
To find out more about breast surgery at The Private Clinic please call 0333 920 2471 or use our online breast surgery contact form.