Breast Augmentation in your 40s
BREAST AUGMENTATION AND ENLARGEMENT
Breast Augmentation procedures, also known as breast implant or breast enlargement surgery are commonly associated with younger patient in their 20s but you may be surprised to know that according to a study in America, the age share of breast augmentation procedures in the U.S. is highest among those aged 35 to 50 years.
A patient who is in their 20s are likely to have different reasons for wanting an implant in comparison to a patient in their 40s or 50s.
Younger patients are often looking to have a breast enlargement procedure to achieve fuller breasts whereas patients in their 40s or 50s are more likely to be looking for a breast enlargement procedure to help with sagging or loss of volume following children, breast feeding, weight loss or menopause.
Am I too old for breast implants?
We are often asked, ‘am I too old for a breast augmentation?’ or ‘is there an age limit for breast augmentation procedures?’ and the simple answer is no. As long as you are fit and healthy, you are most likely to be a suitable candidate for breast enlargement surgery.
Find out more in our Best age to have Breast Augmentation blog
Can breast implants help with ageing?
When you are in your 40s, it is likely that you have started to notice signs of ageing on the face, but ageing can also affect the body. Ageing naturally causes a loss of volume and skin elasticity which can cause breasts decrease in size and sagging may occur. A breast augmentation procedure can help to restore your breasts and give them a fuller and more lifted appearance. If breast sagging is more severe, then a breast uplift procedure or combined breast implant and uplift procedure may be suggested to help achieve the best results.
Is it best to wait until after having children before having breast implants?
Women in their mid 40s are also more likely to have already completed their family or have no future plans to become pregnant. We do advise patients to consider their options when it comes to deciding on when to have a breast augmentation. Pregnancy does involve a lot of changes to the breast and although breast implants are generally not affected by pregnancy, your breast as a whole will change shape or size which can alter the results of a breast augmentation procedure.
Can Menopause affect breast size?
Menopause is a natural part of ageing which tends to occur in women aged 45-55. Menopause comes with a number of symptoms of varying degree, but some women notice a change in their breast size or shape following a menopause diagnosis. Menopause causes levels of estrogen to drop and the glandular tissue in your breasts to shrink. This can result in breasts feeling less full and sagging may occur.
What to expect from a breast augmentation in your 40s
Having a breast enlargement procedure in your 40s or 50s is no different to having a breast enlargement procedure in your 20s. There are no special implants or techniques that need to be used however it is important that patients understand what they can expect to achieve from breast implant surgery.
In some cases, a breast enlargement procedure may not be the best option in order to achieve the results that the patient is expecting. Instead a breast uplift or breast lift with enlargement procedure may need to be considered to get the best result.
Patients in their 40s will be admitted as a day case procedure and discharged in the hours following to complete their recovery at home. It is recommended that patients take 1-2 weeks off work depending on their job role. Recovery from a breast enlargement procedure can take up to 6 weeks and they will be required to wear a surgical bra at all times during this time.
Find out more about recovery and aftercare following breast augmentation surgery here.
Breast Enlargement Surgery at The Private Clinic
- 24-hour patient helpline to ensure you are always in the best of hands.
- Three years cover for all surgical, hospital and nursing care, in case of any medical issue giving you peace of mind.
- The Private Clinic offers a unique warranty of £1000 towards surgical costs in case of rupture for 10 years from the date of your operation.
- Comprehensive Breast Enlargement Patient Guide.
- Highly experienced Cosmetic Breast Surgeons who have decades of experience.
- Outstanding hospital facilities.
- As many post-operative care and appointments with your surgeon and nursing team as required.
- Our experience and medical expertise makes your journey a reassuring one
- See breast augmentation before and after photos
- Hear from previous breast augmentation patients
- Read our extensive breast enlargement FAQs
- Find out more information in our breast implant blogs
- Watch our breast augmentation patient journey guide
Expert Breast Surgeons at The Private Clinic
- Mr Adrian Richards, MBBS, MSc, FRCS (Plast.) GMC Number: 3286812
- Mr Navid Jallali, BSc MB ChB (Hons) MD FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 4404969
- Mr Dario Rochira, BS, MD GMC Number: 6130664
- Mr Davood Fallahdar FRCS (Plast) Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Plastic) GMC Number: 4686602
- Mr Philip Lim, BSc (Hons), MB ChB, AFRCS (Ed), MRCS (Eng), FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 4219068
- Mr Maisam Fazel MA(Cantab) MB BChir MSEd FRCS GMC Number: 4767420
- Mr Adel Fattah, FRCS (Plast.) GMC Number: 4764599
- Mr Kenneth Kok, MBChB MRCS MSc(Hons) FRCS(plast) GMC Number: 4701147
- Ms Helena Antoniadou, MBBS, MD & Surg (Hons), FRCS (Plast), GMC Number: 3700956
To find out more about Breast Enlargement surgery, please call us on 0333 920 2471 or use our breast implants online contact form.
Consultations are available in our clinics nationwide:
- For breast implant London Harley Street click here
- For breast implant Birmingham click here
- For breast implant Buckinghamshire click here
- For breast implant Leeds click here
- For breast implant Manchester click here
- For breast implant Northampton click here