Assess your hair loss with the Norwood Scale
HAIR LOSS & HAIR TRANSPLANTS
Assess your hair loss with the Norwood Scale and see before and after results from your Expert Hair Transplant Surgeons
The Norwood scale is mentioned a lot when it comes to diagnosing the extent of hair loss. It has been used since the 1970s and is quite simply a series of images that depict the different stages of male pattern hair loss.
The Norwood scale is a topic that comes up often in hair loss consultations and we admit it can be a little confusing on first glance which is why we have come up with a way to help you understand the Norwood types featuring some familiar faces;
Norwood Type 0
- Type 0 is often left off the majority of scales used in consultations.
- It is rare for someone to have a Type 0 hairline, especially adult men and it is debateable if it even exists or not.
- Norwood 0 hairlines indicate that there is no recession at all and they can sometimes descend slightly at the corners.
- Even a young boy often has a slight recession along the edges of their hairlines so if your hairline is referred to as Type 0 then you should consider yourself very lucky.
- A good example to visually show a type 0 hairline is to look at David Schwimmer especially during his time playing Ross from Friends. Another good example is Simon Cowell in the earlier days.
Norwood Type 1
- Type 1 hair loss refers to minimal hair loss and is often reminiscent of a juvenile hair line so you most likely have not had any noticeable changes since your youth.
- A good visual example of a type 1 hairline would be Jay Z, Eminem, Matthew Fox and even Brad Pitt although the latter two are gradually becoming a Type 2.
Norwood Type 2
- A type 2 hair loss is known as the mature hairline and it is the natural recession that the vast majority of men will experience and unfortunately that is just the natural progression of ageing.
- You may notice that your hairline has receded by 1 to 1.7cm cm
- Hairline corners may have also begun to recede resulting in a v shape pattern.
- At this stage, it is not considered to be male pattern baldness and it is unlikely that you would be considered for a hair transplant.
- Some visual examples include Bradley Cooper and Leonardo DiCaprio but most men between the ages of 17 and 30 will be sporting a similar hairline too.
Norwood Type 3
- A type 3 hair loss is the first stage when we would consider treating you for a hair transplant.
- It is known as the first stage of balding and is actually the most common pattern of balding.
- It can take on a variety of appearances depending on the severity including the M and U-shaped varieties
- Norwood Type 3 is usually easily treatable and you could be suitable for a Hair Transplant at this stage.
- At this stage it is also quite easy at this stage to change your style and your hairline to make the balding less noticeable.
- Some visual examples for a type 3 hairline are Bryan Cranston, Sting and Tom Hanks.
Norwood Type 4
- If you have a type 4 hair loss your hairline will have most likely receded quite far back towards the top of your head.
- You may have also noticed balding areas elsewhere like on the back/crown of your head.
- A good visual example of this stage of hair loss is actor, Jude Law who has more recently been sporting a fuller head of hair but rumours of a potential hair transplant are still unconfirmed.
Norwood Type 5
- A type 5 hair loss is often defined as having no hair at the front of your head and the balding area on the crowd of your head will be of a larger scale.
- You are likely to still have hair around the sides of your head.
- A good visual example of this stage of hair loss is actor Michael Kelly, most notably known for his time playing Doug Stamper from Netflix show House of Cards.
Norwood Type 6
- A type 6 hair loss generally means that your hairline essentially has disappeared and there is only sparse hair remaining on the top of the head.
- Hair loss around the sides may have extended further.
- A good visual example of this stage of hair loss is former UK Prime Minister, Winston Churchill.
Norwood Type 7
- A type 7 hair loss is the most severe stage of hair loss; any remaining hair will take on a typical horseshoe shape around the sides and back of the head.
- The remaining hair will most likely be fine and sparse.
- A good visual example of this stage of hair loss is Curb Your Enthusiasm Star, Larry David.
We hope these guides have helped to give you an idea to better understand the Norwood Scale. Your surgeon will be able to explain the Norwood scale and let you know where you score in more detail at your consultation. To find out more about what happens during a hair transplant consultation click here.
FUE Hair Transplants at The Private Clinic
- The Private Clinic’s Hair Transplant surgeons have the most extensive experience in treating Male Pattern Baldness and treat hundreds of patients each year.
- We use a minimally-invasive hair restoration technique called FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) Hair Transplantation.
- You won’t require any stitches after your treatment. This means that the recovery time is also reduced when compared to the Strip surgery (FUT). Find out more about hair transplant recovery here.
- Thanks to our advanced skills and techniques results can be undetectable and the recovery time is minimal compared to previous strip surgery.
- After surgery you will be free to wear your hair long or short as there will be no linear scaring across the back of your head and you will instead have natural results with denser packing as the hair is implanted to match your natural hair growth.
- We only select the healthiest follicles to use meaning a higher quality result.
- Our surgeons are also able to offer the Unshaven Hair Transplant for those who prefer not to shave their head beforehand.
- At your consultation, we will be able to advise you on whether an unshaven procedure is suitable for you.
- Scars resulting from injuries or previous surgeries can also be corrected with FUE Hair Transplant for Scar Revision surgery.
- The Private Clinic prides itself on ensuring you have the best quality and most comprehensive care.
- 24 hour patient helpline to ensure you are always in the best of hands.
- As many post-operative care and appointments with your Hair Transplant surgeon and nursing team as required.
- Highly experienced Hair Transplant Surgeons who have many years of experience.
- Comprehensive patient information, every step of the way.
- Outstanding clinic facilities.
- Our excellent reputation for patient safety and satisfaction, honest advice and outstanding care means your journey with The Private Clinic will be an exciting experience to a newfound head of hair.
- View our before and after results gallery
- Find out more information in our blogs
- Read our extensive FAQs
- Hear from previous Hair Transplant patients in our patient stories and videos
- We have clinics nationwide in London Harley Street, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and Northampton.
Expert Hair Transplant Surgeons at The Private Clinic
- Dr Furqan Raja, MB ChB, GMC Number: 7419667
- Mr Michael Mouzakis S.C.F in Plastic Surgery, GMC Number: 7237640
- Dr Luca De Fazio MD, BSc, MSc, GMC Number: 7095123
- Dr Ismail Ughratdar, MB ChB, GMC Number: 6103427
To find out more about FUE Hair Transplants please call, 0333 920 2471 or use our hair transplant online contact form