Hair Transplants frequently crop up in the news, especially when a celebrity’s hair loss or surprising hair growth is called into question. A bevy of celebrities have sung hair transplant’s praises over the past few years, as they seek to enhance their careers and bolster their self-confidence.
UK-based Celebrities that seem to have successfully undergone hair transplants include:
- Wayne Rooney
- Calum Best
- Louie Walsh
- Jason Gardiner
- James Nesbitt
- Gordon Ramsey
- Rob Brydon
We get asked a lot of questions about hair transplants here at The Private Clinic so we decided to create a blog post to help you decide if this could be an option for you.
What is a hair transplant?
A hair transplant usually involves taking healthy, strong hair follicles and transplanting them to areas of thinning or balding. It can be performed on men and women for different reasons and requires considerable expertise so always check the surgeon’s credentials.
There are two major types of hair transplants. The FUE method takes individual hair follicles from a donor area (typically the back or sides of the head) to the ‘problem’ area, to tackle thinning or balding. A tiny, circular incision is made around each follicle, leaving very little or no scarring; these are not visible to the naked eye. The hair follicle is then prepared and implanted into the specified area, where it takes up to a year to fully establish itself. There is minimal downtime, it is performed under local anaesthetic and recovery is minimal.
The FUT method, in contrast, cuts a strip of skin and hair from the back or side of the head, where it is then dissected and implanted into the balding or thinning area. The FUT method leaves a linear scar at the donor site and requires a lengthy postoperative schedule and aftercare regime for the patient. Its advantage is that it’s typically cheaper and quicker to perform.
How long does it all take?
We offer the FUE method of hair transplants. For many patients, a day at our clinic is necessary; some patients require a second day of treatment for an extensive procedure. The FUT method is much quicker but requires hourly care for 2 days after the procedure and weeks of postoperative care.
Is it permanent?
Only strong, healthy hair follicles are harvested from the strongest, densest areas of hair. Some surgeons can transplant body hair so that is always a potential option. The surgeon’s expertise is especially important here. They need to discuss with you the results and help you manage your expectations.
I have Afro hair and I find it hard to find clinics that have the specialism?
Treating Afro hair requires specific experience and expertise. Ask the clinic for demonstrable experience. Here at The Private Clinic we’re one of a small number of clinics that can help Afro hair successfully.
How much does it cost?
Cost should not be the defining factor for any cosmetic treatment or procedure. Expertise requires constant topping up of skills and knowledge, which is why this is reflected in the prices at some clinics. Hair transplants are typically priced per hair transplanted so the price varies considerably. As a rough guide, we offer full hair transplants for men from £7,500.
Additionally, there is minimal downtime with the FUE method so you can return to work quickly, without losing out on wages as well.
Is it painful?
You can read our testimonials on our website for real-life accounts of having the procedure done. From our experience, patients are usually happily chatting during the procedure. The FUT method is reported to be more painful as patients have been sutured and the skin needs time to heal. The procedure is also performed under general anaesthetic.
Is there anything else apart from a hair transplant that will work?
There is nothing to regain areas of lost hair at the moment but you can use products to stop any further hair loss. At our clinic we also specialise in nonsurgical hair loss treatments.
Why choose The Private Clinic?
- Highly experienced Hair Transplant Surgeons who have decades of experience and who have carried out thousands of hair transplants.
- The Private Clinic prides itself on ensuring you have the best quality and most comprehensive care.
- 24 hour patient helpline to ensure you are always in the best of hands.
- As many post-operative care and appointments with your Hair Transplant surgeon and nursing team as required.
- Comprehensive patient information, every step of the way.
- Outstanding clinic facilities.
- Our excellent reputation for patient safety and satisfaction, honest advice and outstanding care means your journey with The Private Clinic will be an exciting experience to a new hairline.
- View our gallery of FUE Hair Transplant before and after results here.
- Hear from previous hair transplant patients by reading their stories here.
- Read our extensive Hair Transplant FAQs
- Find out more information in our Hair Transplant blogs
- Consultations available in London Harley Street, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and Northampton.
- We are able to offer finance solutions with manageable payments to suit a variety of budgets.
Hair Transplant Surgeons at The Private Clinic
- Dr Raghu Reddy MBBS, MRCHP, DPD, GMC Number: 6041095
- Dr Luca De Fazio MD, BSc, MSc, GMC Number: 7095123
- Dr Michael Mouzakis S.C.F in Plastic Surgery, GMC Number: 7237640
- Dr Ismail Ughratdar, MB ChB, GMC Number: 6103427
- Dr Furqan Raja, MB ChB, GMC Number: 7419667
If you would like to discuss your hair transplant options, please call 03339209135 or use our online hair transplant contact form.