In the 1880s the methods of enhancing the chest including using ivory, glass balls and sponges made from various synthetic substances. It was not until 1963 that the first silicone-gel-filled implant was introduced and surprisingly, only small changes to the structure of this have been changed since then.
The biggest development for breast implants most recently has been the introduction of b-lite implants. B-Lite implants are not necessarily a new development in the breast implant world, but they are gaining in popularity with more information and studies becoming available on them and we find especially in our clinics, more patients are requesting them.
As the size of implants requested has increased over the years, larger and heavier implants with gravitational effects have increased tissue elasticity resulting in sagging, traction rippling and pain in the back, neck or shoulders. Due to this, surgeons came together to develop a new lighter implant to allow patients reduce the effects that larger implants can have on the breasts over time and to help maintain the final results of a breast augmentation for longer.
What are B-Lite Implants?
B-Lite implants are filled with a microsphere enhanced silicone gel which results in them being 30% lighter when compared to traditional silicone gel implants. B-Lite implants still use the same high quality silicone shell as previous implants which give them a soft and natural appearance.
|Traditional Silicone Implant Size (CC)||Traditional Silicone Implant Weight||B-Lite Implant Weight|
Are they safe?
B-Lite implants only use the highest quality silicone gel. The microsphere added into the gel has previously been used in orthopaedic and neurosurgery with no side effects. If there should be a rupture to the implant, the contents of the implant are less likely to leak into the surrounding tissue. In the rare event of a rupture occurring, b lite implants also have a lifetime rupture guarantee meaning they will be able to be replaced free of charge. All the materials used in B-Lite are well known and biocompatible and are a result of nearly ten years research, development and testing.
Is the surgical technique for b-lite implants different?
The surgical procedure for b-lite implants is the same as any other breast enlargement procedure. It will be performed under general anaesthetic, the surgeon will make an incision within the inframammary fold. The only difference is that in some cases the incision line may be slightly longer but only by 0.5mm – 1.mm. You surgeon will go through scar care with you post-surgery to ensure that it heals well.
Will b-lite implants feel different?
If you have never had implants before, you will not necessarily notice the difference but b-lite implants will feel a lot lighter than traditional implants. B-Lite breast implants have the potential to reduce weight related side effects such back and neck pain.
Who are b lite implants suitable for?
B lite implants can be an option for anyone considering breast enlargement but we would recommend them most to most patients who are having larger implants, a combined uplift procedure, those that are more active in their lifestyle, those with decreased skin laxity and patients who may have slightly thicker skin or a history of developing stretchmarks.
Other implants available at The Private Clinic
Here at The Private Clinic we offer our patients Mentor, Nagor and B-lite implants. All implants have different advantages and disadvantages and the best one to suit you will be discussed with your surgeon.
Mentor is an American global medical device company who are a worldwide leader in breast aesthetics and the leading manufacturer of implants with over 40 years’ experience in making implants. The implants we use are made from silicone gel which is a cohesive substance that acts as a solid rather than its original liquid form which enables it to maintain its shape.
Mentor implants come in a wide range of sizes, shapes and projections to match your proportions and give you your desired result.
Nagor are the only British manufacturer of both silicone and saline breast implants. Selling implants since 1979 they provide each implant with a lifetime patient guarantee. We favour using silicone gel nagor implants which are manufactured with high-performance silicone elastomer layers which help to increase the integrity of the outer shell and maintain the shape of the implant.
Years of breast implant research and development have led to enhanced safety and innovation, we also offer Motiva implants that are covered against rupture by the Always Confident Warranty® for the lifetime of the implants, and by the Motiva Product Replacement Policy against capsular contracture for a period of 10 years. Motiva breast implants have:
Developed by Establishment Labs, Motiva breast implants have continously developed over the years working hard to reduce the risks associated with breast implants. Motiva implants are made from made from world-class silicone gel and come with Motiva’s Always Confident Warranty protects you against rupture for the lifetime of your implants.
Choosing what size, shape or profile of implant can be difficult. Our surgeons will help you to make a decision but to help you feel well informed click here to read our guide or view our video below.
Why Choose The Private Clinic for Breast Implants?
- No obligation consultations with a specialist consultant plastic surgeon.
- 24 hour patient helpline to ensure you are always in the best of hands.
- Three years cover for all surgical, hospital and nursing care, in case of any medical issue giving you peace of mind.
- Lifetime guarantee on implants for rupture and capsular contracture.
- The Private Clinic offers a unique 10 year warranty of £1000 towards surgical costs in case of rupture for 10 years from the date of your operation.
- Comprehensive Breast Enlargement Patient Guide.
- Highly experienced Cosmetic Breast Surgeons who have decades of experience.
- Outstanding hospital facilities.
- As many post-operative care and appointments with your surgeon and nursing team as required.
If you are interested in B-Lite implants and would like to find out more, call 0333 920 2471 to book a consultation with breast surgery specialist Mr Maisam Fazel in Buckinghamshire, Bristol, Northampton or Birmingham or Mr Dario Rochira in London Harley Street or Bristol.
- Mr Adrian Richards, MBBS, MSc, FRCS (Plast.) GMC Number: 3286812
- Mr Navid Jallali BSc MB ChB (Hons) MD FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 4404969
- Mr Dario Rochira BS, MD GMC Number: 6130664
- Mr Davood Fallahdar FRCS (Plast) Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Plastic) GMC Number: 4686602
- Ms Lyndsey Highton, BM BCh (Oxon) MA FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 6128243
- Mr Philip Lim BSc (Hons), MB ChB, AFRCS (Ed), MRCS (Eng), FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 4219068
- Mr Olubowale, MB ChB, MSc (Sheffield), FRCSI, FRCSI (Gen Surg) GMC Number 6044974
- Mr Maisam Fazel MA(Cantab) MB BChir MSEd FRCS GMC Number: 4767420
- Mr Mobinulla Syed MBBS, MSc, PhD, FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 6035480
- Mr Prashant Govilkar, MBBS MS MCh FRCS FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 4258041
- Mr Adel Fattah, FRCS (Plast.) GMC Number: 4764599
- Mr Kenneth Kok MBChB MRCS MSc(Hons) FRCS(plast) GMC Number: 4701147
If you are interested in breast implants and would like to talk through all of the options available to you, please click here to book a b lite breast implants consultation.