Can a breast reduction help with back pain?
Patients with large breasts often complain of back pain and neck or shoulder aches that they believe is linked to their large breasts. Breast reduction surgery is often recommended as the best way to relieve patients of this pain and our breast reduction surgery specialists particular enjoy seeing the transformation in their patient’s post-surgery.
Do large breasts cause back pain?
Having large breasts can be a cause of back pain. The larger the breasts are, the more likely you are to slouch and pull forward in your posture causing compression of the nerve fibres causing discomfort.
According to Mark Jewell, MD, president of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), women can also experience pain or tingling in their arms which is caused by the weight on the shoulders pulling on nerves behind the collar bone.
Does breast reduction surgery help with back pain?
If the source of the back pain is believed be because of the large breasts then yes, breast reduction surgery is often the most effective treatment to provide long lasting relief from back pain.
By reducing the size and weight of the breasts can:
- Improve posture by reducing the unnatural curve to the spine.
- Reduce the weight on shoulders from bra straps.
- Relive pressure on vertebra and spinal discs.
- Enable the patient to exercise vigorously without discomfort.
- Reduce pressure on the spinal cord and trapped nerves.
- Improve mobility and balance of the entire body.
Is it possible to still have back pain after breast reduction surgery?
It is not uncommon to experience back pain after breast reduction surgery. This could be caused from being laid on the operating table for a few hours although our surgical team will do their best to ensure your comfort throughout the procedure. Back pain post-surgery could also be caused because your posture has changed and the way you perform certain tasks such as lifting will be slightly different, any discomfort should improve after 1-2 weeks post-surgery.
An important factor to keep in mind however is that if large breasts are not the sole cause of your back pain, then the surgery may not be able to provide the instant relief that you were hoping for.
Other things that could be contributing to back pain include:
- Wearing a poor fitting bra
- Bone conditions such as osteoporosis or osteoarthritis
- Injury of the nerves such as a bulging or herniated disc
- Being overweight
- Poor posture and lack of mobility
What are the benefits of breast reduction surgery?
As well as helping to relieve back pain, breast reduction surgery can also:
- Allow you to exercise more freely, for example go jogging with little pain or discomfort.
- Make you feel more comfortable to dress in different types of clothing including more shapely clothing.
- Improve excessive sweating, rashes, and skin infections under the breasts.
- Make it easier to shop for bras with more availability and selection to choose from.
Will I be suitable for a breast reduction?
If you are struggling with the size of your breasts, then a breast reduction procedure is likely to be suitable for you. We recommend booking a consultation with a surgeon who specialises in the procedure to determine your suitability.
As long as you are over the age of 18, are in good health then you are likely to be suitable for a breast reduction procedure.
Can I get a breast reduction procedure for back pain on the NHS?
It is sometimes possible to get breast reduction surgery on the NHS however the eligibility criteria is decided by your local clinical commissioning group (CCG) and some areas for example do not fund this type of surgery at all. The eligibility criteria can be very specific and strict and can include factors such as your age, whether you have tried other options, your weight and if you smoke.
You would also need to go through a referral process from your GP which can take a long time and in the majority of cases, does end in disappointment.
This is why many women choose private self-pay breast reduction surgery to help relieve them of their symptoms and feel more confident with their body.
Breast Reduction Surgery at The Private Clinic
- We offer top UK consultant plastic surgeons for breast reduction, who have accumulated decades of experience
- More than 35 years of medical cosmetic expertise and experience
- 24-hour patient helpline to ensure you are always in the best of hands.
- Three years cover for all surgical, hospital and nursing care, in case of any medical issue giving you peace of mind.
- Comprehensive Breast Reduction Patient Guide.
- Outstanding hospital facilities.
- 5 Star Trustpilot Rating
- 96% of patients would recommend us to friends and family
- As many post-operative care and appointments with your surgeon and nursing team as required.
- See our selection of breast reduction before and after photos.
- Read our extensive breast reduction FAQs.
Breast Reduction Surgeons
- Mr Adrian Richards, MBBS, MSc, FRCS (Plast.) GMC Number: 3286812
- Mr Navid Jallali BSc MB ChB (Hons) MD FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 4404969
- Mr Maisam Fazel MA(Cantab) MB BChir MSEd FRCS GMC Number: 4767420
- Mr Mobinulla Syed MBBS, MSc, PhD, FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 6035480
- Mr Philip Lim BSc (Hons), MB ChB, AFRCS (Ed), MRCS (Eng), FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 4219068
- Mr Adel Fattah, FRCS (Plast.) GMC Number: 4764599
- Ms Helena Antoniadou, MBBS, MD & Surg (Hons), FRCS (Plast), GMC Number: 3700956
If you would like to book a breast reduction consultation with one of The Private Clinic’s specialised breast surgeons, please get in touch on 0333 920 2471 or request a consultation through our website.
Our expert surgeons are available for consultations in our clinics in London Harley Street, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Northampton and Bucks (virtual consultation).