After England’s less than inspiring World Cup defeat, it’s impossible to avoid hearing about the country’s only goal scorer, Wayne Rooney. Flashback to three years ago, however, and the England team’s not-quite golden boy was in the news for a very different reason; his first, and very well-publicised, hair transplant.
“I was going bald at 25 why not?” tweeted the England and Manchester United forward in an honest announcement to his millions of fans in 2011. And now it seems more of those suffering are beginning to take that attitude, with UK clinics noting a huge rise in the number of men undergoing the treatment each year.
At The Private Clinic, we’ve already seen a 120% increase in the amount of hair transplants that have taken place in the first half of 2014, and it’s hard to deny the effect celebrity endorsement can have. Dan Jude, journalist and hair transplant patient at The Private Clinic, wrote in Grazia magazine a few weeks ago that Rooney’s declaration had been the first glimmer of hope he’d had since beginning to lose his hair as a teenager, while TV presenter Martin Roberts said in the Daily Express of his transplant “When you [see] people like Wayne Rooney and James Nesbitt being so open about having help, you do think why not?”.
The approval of household names certainly helps to break down any stigma that might have been associated with talking about hair loss treatment, but it is perhaps the huge advancement of hair transplant methods that has encouraged more people to go ahead with it. Better technology and pioneering surgeons have meant that hair transplant surgery today is quicker, easier, and more effective than ever before.
The Private Clinic uses a method called FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) which works by transplanting individual hair follicles, rather than surgically extracting actual strips of scalp, from healthy parts of the scalp or body (normally the back of head) to the chosen area. The entire procedure is performed under local anaesthetic and there are no stitches required, meaning significantly less recovery time and hardly any visible scarring (though this does depend entirely on your surgeon’s skills). As well as being minimally invasive, however, FUE also yields impressive results; working with individual hairs means that only the strongest follicles are selected and transplanted into the natural direction of your hair growth.
We’re proud that The Private Clinic’s own surgeons Dr Luca De Fazio, Mr Michael Mouzakis, Dr Furqan Raja, and Dr Ismail Ughratdar have been behind some of these hair transplant advancements, and their experience is reflected in their work.
6.5 million men in the UK are affected by baldness and hair loss, but thanks to a careful combination of the procedure becoming more talked about and medical professionals constantly improving it, an increasing number are discovering that they don’t have to put up with it. If only we could say the same for England’s football scores…
Why choose The Private Clinic?
- Highly experienced Hair Transplant Surgeons who have decades of experience and who have carried out thousands of hair transplants.
- The Private Clinic prides itself on ensuring you have the best quality and most comprehensive care.
- 24 hour patient helpline to ensure you are always in the best of hands.
- As many post-operative care and appointments with your Hair Transplant surgeon and nursing team as required.
- Comprehensive patient information, every step of the way.
- Outstanding clinic facilities.
- Our excellent reputation for patient safety and satisfaction, honest advice and outstanding care means your journey with The Private Clinic will be an exciting experience to a new hairline.
- View our gallery of FUE Hair Transplant before and after results here.
- Hear from previous hair transplant patients by reading their stories here.
- Read our extensive Hair Transplant FAQs
- Find out more information in our Hair Transplant blogs
- Consultations available in London Harley Street, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and Northampton.
- We are able to offer finance solutions with manageable payments to suit a variety of budgets.
Hair Transplant Surgeons at The Private Clinic
- Dr Furqan Raja, MB ChB, GMC Number: 7419667
- Dr Michael Mouzakis S.C.F in Plastic Surgery, GMC Number: 7237640
- Dr Ismail Ughratdar, MB ChB, GMC Number: 6103427
- Dr Luca De Fazio MD, BSc, MSc, GMC Number: 7095123
If you would like to discuss your hair transplant options, please call 03339209135 or use our online hair transplant contact form.
Keep an eye out for another account of Dan Jude’s hair transplant in FHM this August and his results in early 2015.