Female laser hair removal can be a simple and cost-effective solution to a little-discussed concern for many women. Breaking through what is considered a taboo topic, unwanted hair growth, particularly on the face, is important for awareness and many women are calling for more awareness and education. Here we focus on female unwanted facial hair (UFH), giving you the information and available permanent treatments out there.
A Study from 2007, published in the Dermatology Journal, found that around 40% of women report having some degree of unwanted facial hair. Hirsutism is the term used in medicine for excess body hair presenting in regions characteristic of male hair growth. Many of the possible causes can be put in three broad categories: inherited/familial or ethnic factors; side effects of certain medications & hormonal factors, including Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).
Whilst a number of women are comfortable with their body hair, for many women unwanted hair growth can have a considerably detrimental impact on them. Women reported, as part of the We Can Face It campaign, that it can still be quite a taboo to talk about but women should feel assured by The 1,000 Women’s Survey, part of the We Can Face It campaign.
- Almost 80% of women feel embarrassed by their unwanted facial hair
- Almost 90% of women surveyed would feel more conﬁdent if they didn’t have facial hair
- Over a third (37%) would like to see better awareness among healthcare professionals and the general public
- Only 13% of women had approached a GP or other health professional for advice
There are a number of hair reduction lasers and light-based treatments on the market so it’s always important to research. What may seem like a good deal is invariably going to be using less effective treatment. Unhelpfully light-based treatments are often referred to as laser treatments so beware. Aside from choosing which treatment and knowing the experience of the practitioner it is important to remember hair grows in stages. Hair follicles need to be targeted at their 3 phases of development for complete reduction, which is why a course of treatments is needed:
- Anagen – the growing phase, which can last a few years
- Catagen – the transitional, or cessation phase, which lasts 2-3 weeks
- Telogen – the resting phase, which lasts a few months and after which the hair detaches from the follicle and is shed as the new hair begins to grow
The Private Clinic
At The Private Clinic, we offer a long-lasting walk-in walk-out solution. We utilise cutting-edge, regulated laser hair removal technology to deliver safe and effective results, which inhibit the hair follicles.
We are fully trained, experienced and equipped to target treatment areas such as:
- The upper lip, chin, beard and jawline
- Underarms and arms
- Legs and bikini line
- Back and shoulders
- Chest and abdomen
- Nose, neck and ears