What is Emsella treatment?
BTL Emsella is a non-surgical and non-invasive treatment designed to strengthen pelvic floor muscles. Many women experience symptoms of weakened pelvic muscles including stress urinary incontinence, severe incontinence, reduced vaginal sensation or a feeling of heaviness in the pelvic area.
At The Private Clinic we offer patients a solution to something that can cause embarrassment. It can boost conﬁdence and improve your quality of life.
The causes for weakened pelvic muscles will vary from patient to patient. They often result due to childbirth, hormonal fluctuation, ageing and weight loss or gain. There are many options out there for women experiencing weakened pelvic muscles which include wearing absorbent pads, pelvic floor muscle exercises and in extreme cases; intermittent catheterization.
EMsella and Incontinence
Incontinence is classiﬁed under 3 main types:
- Stress Urinary Incontinence can be due to ageing, exercise such as CrossFit, running, weight training or aerobics, weight fluctuations, childbirth and menopause, with the pelvic ﬂoor muscles ‘de-conditioning’ and no longer offering full support to the pelvic ﬂoor organs. This leads to urinary leakage when the patient exerts any kind of inter-abdominal pressure (coughing, sneezing, jumping, laughing etc).
- Urge Incontinence is a neuromuscular dysfunction where the patient has a sudden and strong urge to pass urine, and often there are underlying health conditions that can trigger this.
- Mixed Urinary Incontinence (a mix of the two). All types are similar in that the patient cannot contract their pelvic ﬂoor fully due to muscle weakness, which leads to urinary leakage.
Kegal exercises also known as pelvic floor muscle training is often recommended to help both prevent and control urinary incontinence and pelvic floor problems. The exercises work to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles which help to support the bladder, uterus, small intestine and rectum.
Emsella applies High-Intensity Focused Electromagnetic technology (HIFEM) to stimulate the pelvic floor muscles and restore neuromuscular control. These muscle contractions work to repair the pelvic floor to enable patients to regain bladder control. A single Emsella session can bring thousands of supramaximal pelvic floor muscle contractions which are very important in the muscle re-education on incontinent patients. It is reported that one session of Emsella is the equivalent of 11000 kegel exercises.
95% of patients reported signiﬁcant improvement in their everyday life after a course of EMsella
Emsella is an FDA cleared treatment for mild to moderate stress incontinence and hyperactive bladder where scientific research has shown that 95% of patients have had significant improvement. Emsella’s ability to strengthen pelvic muscles may also lead to a positive effect on sexual wellness and intimate relationships.
Benefits for Emsella Treatment
- FDA Cleared to improve urinary incontinence & vaginal laxity
- Patients remain fully clothed throughout treatment
- 75% reduction in pad usage
- Non-invasive & Non-surgical
- Walk-in, walk out procedure
- No recovery or downtime
- 95% of BTL Emsella patients experienced noticeable improvement
- Treats entire pelvic floor area in a 30 minutes
Reduced Lower Back Pain. The pelvic ﬂoor plays a very important role in core strength. You cannot just focus on exercising abs to keep that core tight. These muscles are all interconnected and complement each other. Poor posture and a weak core can lead to lower back pain, so it makes sense that by strengthening the pelvic ﬂoor with EMsella we can also contribute to a stronger core, a reduction of lower back pain and better posture.
Prevention. Prevention is always better than cure, so women of childbearing age who plan on expanding their family should take preventative measures to ensure their pelvic ﬂoor is strong and can withstand the extra weight and pressure of pregnancy. A stronger core will also help with a faster delivery too.
How does Emsella work?
Emsella is an electromagnetic chair with a mechanism of action that uses high-intensity electromagnetic field to strengthen the pelvic floor.
When experiencing incontinence, your pelvic floor muscles are not supporting your pelvic organs which can affect bladder control. BTL Emsella is able to effectively stimulate the pelvic floor muscles with thousands of supramaximal contractions per session. This stimulation will lead to regained control over the pelvic floor muscles and bladder control.
The treatments success is based on focused electromagnetic energy. A single treatment session can bring thousands of supramaximal pelvic floor muscle contractions, which are extremely important in muscle re-education of incontinent patients.
The Emsella procedure is carried out using a patented chair device that allows patients to remain fully clothed and comfortably seated during treatment. Many patients choose to read a book or listen to music during the treatment as it usually involves you remaining seated for 30 minutes whilst the treatment is carried out.