What is Emsella treatment?
BTL Emsella is a non-surgical treatment designed to strengthen pelvic floor muscles and pelvic floor tightness.
Many women experience symptoms of weakened pelvic muscles including stress urinary incontinence, severe incontinence, reduced vaginal sensation or a feeling of heaviness in the pelvic area.
Emsella treatment is available at our clinics in London Harley Street and Birmingham where we are offering a free introductory treatment. Experience what it is like to sit on the chair. Contact us for a free consultation to find out more today.
Benefits for Emsella Treatment
- FDA Cleared to improve urinary incontinence & vaginal laxity
- Patients remain fully clothed throughout treatment
- 75% reduction in pad usage
- Non-invasive & Non-surgical
- Walk-in, walk out procedure
- No downtime
- 95% of BTL Emsella patients experienced noticeable improvement
- Treats entire pelvic floor area in a 30 minutes
Our non-surgical treatment offers patients a solution to something that can often cause embarrassment helping to boost conﬁdence and improve quality of life.
Causes of weakened pelvic muscles
- Hormonal fluctuation
- Weight loss or Weight gain.
There are many options out there for women experiencing weakened pelvic muscles which include wearing absorbent pads, pelvic floor muscle exercises and in extreme cases; intermittent catheterization.
What is EMSella chair treatment for urinary incontinence?
EMsella and Incontinence
There are several types of urinary incontinence, including:
- Stress Urinary Incontinence can be due to ageing, exercise such as CrossFit, running, weight training or aerobics, weight fluctuations, childbirth and menopause, with the pelvic ﬂoor muscles ‘de-conditioning’ and no longer offering full support to the pelvic ﬂoor organs. This leads to urinary leakage when the patient exerts any kind of inter-abdominal pressure (coughing, sneezing, jumping, laughing etc). Emsella is a great stress urinary incontinence treatment.
- Urge Incontinence or Overactive Bladder is a neuromuscular dysfunction where the patient has a sudden and strong urge to pass urine at unforeseen times such as during sleep, after drinking a small amount of water, or even when you touch water or hear it running. There are often underlying health conditions that can trigger this but Emsella can be an effective urge incontince or overactive bladder treatment.
- Mixed Urinary Incontinence (a mix of the two). All types are similar in that the patient cannot contract their pelvic ﬂoor fully due to muscle weakness, which leads to urinary leakage. Emsella is a nonsurgical incontinence treatment that can effectively help to reduce the symptoms of urinary incontinence.
- Overflow Incontinence is when your bladder does not completely empty when you urinate. Small amounts of urine will then leak out often without any warning or feeling of the need to urinate. This can be caused by nerve damage or an obstruction.
- Transient Incontinence is more of a temporary type of urinary incontinence caused by a medical condition of infection. Once the condition is managed or the infection treated then the incontinence will be cured. Transient Incontinence can be triggered by urinary tract infections, medication, mental impairment, restricted mobility or severe constipation.
How to tighten your pelvic floor muscle?
Kegal exercises also known as pelvic floor muscle training or pelvic floor tightening is often recommended to help both prevent and control urinary incontinence and pelvic floor problems. The exercises work to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles which help to support the bladder, uterus, small intestine and rectum.
Emsella applies High-Intensity Focused Electromagnetic technology (HIFEM) to stimulate the pelvic floor muscles and restore neuromuscular control. These muscle contractions work to repair the pelvic floor to enable patients to regain bladder control. A single Emsella session can bring thousands of supramaximal pelvic floor muscle contractions which are very important in the muscle re-education on incontinent patients. It is reported that one session of Emsella is the equivalent of 11000 kegel exercises.
95% of patients reported signiﬁcant improvement in their everyday life after a course of EMsella
Emsella is an FDA cleared treatment for mild to moderate stress incontinence and hyperactive bladder where scientific research has shown that 95% of patients have had significant improvement. Emsella’s ability to strengthen pelvic muscles may also lead to a positive effect on sexual wellness and intimate relationships.
Other benefits of Emsella treatment
Reduced Lower Back Pain. The pelvic ﬂoor plays a very important role in core strength. You cannot just focus on exercising abs to keep that core tight. These muscles are all interconnected and complement each other. Poor posture and a weak core can lead to lower back pain, so it makes sense that by strengthening the pelvic ﬂoor with EMsella we can also contribute to a stronger core, a reduction of lower back pain and better posture.
Prevention. Prevention is always better than cure, so women of childbearing age who plan on expanding their family should take preventative measures to ensure their pelvic ﬂoor is strong and can withstand the extra weight and pressure of pregnancy. A stronger core will also help with a faster delivery too.
How does Emsella work?
Emsella is an electromagnetic chair with a mechanism of action that uses high-intensity electromagnetic field to strengthen the pelvic floor.
The Emsella procedure is carried out using a patented chair device that allows patients to remain fully clothed and comfortably seated during treatment. Many patients choose to read a book or listen to music during the treatment as it usually involves you remaining seated for 30 minutes whilst the treatment is carried out.
What is the pelvic ﬂoor?
The pelvic floor is a diamond-shaped sheet of 14 muscles that act like a sling or hammock from the tailbone (coccyx) to the pubic bone (front to back) and from one sitting bone to the other sitting bone (side to side). Pelvic floor muscles are normally firm and thick and are able to move down and up.
The pelvic floor muscles provide support to our core and internal organs that lie on it. It also has the ability to provide us with conscious control over the bladder and bowel which enables us to delay emptying until it is convenient for us to do so.
The pelvic floor muscles also help with posture, pregnancy and sexual function.
What problems can a weak pelvic floor cause?
A weak pelvic floor can cause a variety of complications.
Most common, is loss of bladder control. There are different strains of urinary incontinence that a weak pelvic floor muscles can cause. Leaking when coughing or sneezing for example is known as stress urinary incontinence. Having a sudden need to use the toilet which often results in leakage is known is urge urinary incontinence. You can also have a mix of the two which is called mixed Urinary Incontinence.
A weak pelvic floor can also cause sexual difficulties such as reduced vaginal sensation and lower back pain due to poor posture and slumping.
In more severe cases, there is also a risk of prolapse which is when the internal organs that are usually supported by the pelvic floor including the bladder and uterus can slide down into the vagina.
Am I suitable for BTL Emsella?
Emsella treatment is suitable for a wide range of women who are looking for a non-surgical solution to assist with pelvic floor weakness or urinary incontinence.
You are a great candidate if you experience bladder leakage when coughing, laughing or exercising. If you frequently feel the urge to urinate urgently or suffer from vaginal laxity.
Is Emsella treatment painful?
BTL Emsella treatment for urinary incontinence and pelvic floor tightening is not painful but it can feel uncomfortable at times. You will experience a tingling sensation as your pelvic floor muscles contract during the procedure. Our expert team will be on hand at all times to manage your comfort throughout the procedure.
How long does Emsella treatment take?
BTL Emsella treatment for urinary incontinence and pelvic floor tightening takes around 30 minutes per session. A treatment plan will be provided to you following a consultation.
How soon can I see results from Emsella?
Some patients may start to notice an improvement in urinary incontinence and pelvic floor tightening after just one session of BTL Emsella treatment and these results will continue to improve over the next following weeks.
Patients are recommend to have 6 treatments and it can take 3 months to see the results following a course of treatment.
Where can I have Emsella treatment?
How much is Emsella treatment?
BTL Emsella treatment for urinary incontinence and pelvic floor tightening requires patients to have a course of 6 treatments for the best results.
A course of 6 BTL Emsella treatments starts from £1,800
What research is there to support Emsella treatment?
There has been various research papers and scientific studies published about the effectiveness of HIFEM technology and treating incontinence with Emsella treatment.
You can access these papers below;
- HIFEM technology can improve quality of life of incontinent patients – (BERENHOLZ J., SIMS T., BOTROS G.)
- HIFEM technology non-invasive treatment for incontinence – (ALINSOD R., VASILEV V., ET. AL.)
- Hifem® Technology – A new perspective in treatment of stress urinary incontinence – (ALISOND R., VASILEV V., YANEV K., BUZHOV B., STOILOV M., GEORGIEV M.)
- The clinical evidence for the revolutionary BTL Emsella chair
- Safety and preliminary efficacy of magnetic stimulation of pelvic floor with Hifem Technology in urinary incontinence – (Delgado Cidranes E1* and Estrada Blanco)