Now more than ever men are looking into hair transplant procedures. Research has shown a projected global increase of 23.6% of hair transplants during the period from 2018 to 2025 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE, 2018). This is due to the improvements in hair restoration technique such as the FUE hair transplant procedure which are able to achieve outstanding results and require minimal downtime.
In this blog post, you will be able to find information about the FUE latest hair transplantation procedure.
What is the FUE hair transplant?
FUE stands for Follicular Unit Extraction and is an innovative hair transplant technique, suitable for a variety of hair loss stages, applicable for a broad spectrum of hair loss stages. This hair restoration procedure introduces distinctive changes when compared to the traditional FUT hair transplant procedure. The FUE hair transplant technique has minimal downtime; it doesn’t leave a linear scar and there are no stitches.
What can I expect from the procedure?
At The Private Clinic, you will be able to expect the following for your FUE hair transplant procedure.
The procedure will start by selecting the donor area (typically is on the back of the head) from where the donor hairs will be extracted to then be re-implanted into the treatment area. The treatment is performed under local anaesthetic.
The surgeon will proceed to extract the hairs on your scalp with their necessary glands, through the use of a specialist micro-punch device, that has a 1mm diameter. This device enables the separation between the hair and the surrounding tissue, minimising the trauma around the area.
Following this, tiny incisions will be made using a non-surgical needle into the scalp which helps to leave the affected area untouched and the patient can have a short haircut without showing any signs of obvious scarring. Then the hairs grafts will be harvested prior to their insertion into the scalp.
Your hair restoration surgeon will manually transplant each graft into the treatment area to achieve a head full of hair with natural-looking results.
How is the recovery from the FUE hair transplant procedure?
The downtime and recovery period associated with the FUE hair transplant procedure is relatively quick and you are able to go home after the treatment. The healing takes between 5-7 days. We recommend taking one full week off work to recover; however, there are many patients who are able to return to work within a few days from the procedure.
To ensure better recovery and avoid any possible complications, we highly recommend patients to follow all the after-care treatment which includes staying out of direct sunlight or rain within the first two weeks after the procedure.
How do I know if I am suitable for the FUE procedure?
To discuss the suitability of the FUE hair transplant for each case we recommend attending an initial consultation with your hair transplant surgeon who will be able to assess your suitability for the procedure and recommend the best procedure for you.
In order to assess your suitability your hair restoration surgeon should be looking at the following:
- Age: Even though there is not a legal age limit when it comes to undergoing a hair transplant procedure, the age can play an important role when it comes to achieving the best results. Being the best age over 27 years of age as younger patients run the risk to further loss hair after their initial procedure to treat other areas that weren’t a concern before. Hence the importance of assessing the right time to undergo this procedure to avoid any future baldness and hair transplants.
- The donor area: The donor area is located usually at the back of the head, and is the area where your hairs will be transplanted from. In order for you to be eligible for the FUE hair transplant, it is imperative that your hair follicles in the donor area are healthy and there are enough of them. This is one of the most important stages and at The Private Clinic, we thoroughly asses the quality and quantity of the donor hair.
- The type of Hair Loss: The type of hair loss the patient is suffering from also affects their suitability for a hair transplant procedure. The most suitable candidates are the ones suffering from male or female pattern baldness which only affects certain areas of the scalp as opposed to the entire scalp. Patients who suffer from un-patterned alopecia cannot be suitable for a hair transplant. At The Private Clinic, we ensure you are suitable for the procedure and will let you know if you are not suitable for it to avoid disappointments and unrealistic results.
- General Health: Alike many other procedures being in good health is a requirement before undergoing a hair transplant procedure. If you have any health issues or condition you should let your surgeon know in order to assess your suitability and ensure your safety at all times.
Why choosing The Private Clinic of Harley Street for Hair Transplant
- At The Private Clinic, we have over 10 years of experience of perfecting the FUE technique
- We work with the top world-class hair transplant surgeons who are specialised in the FUE hair transplant procedure, many being pioneers in the development of new advancements in the FUE methodology.
- Outstanding results, don’t take our word for it, see our Trust Pilot reviews click here
- 24 hour patient helpline to ensure you are always in the best of hands.
- As many post-operative care and appointments with your Hair Transplant surgeon and nursing team as required.
- Highly experienced Hair Transplant Surgeons.
- Comprehensive patient information, every step of the way.
- Outstanding hospital facilities.
- Our excellent reputation for patient safety and satisfaction, honest advice and outstanding care means your journey with The Private Clinic will be an exciting experience to a newfound head of hair.
- View our before and after results gallery
- Find out more information in our blogs
- Read our extensive FAQs
- Hear from previous Hair Transplant patients in our patient stories and videos
- We have clinics nationwide in London Harley Street, Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester and Northampton.
Expert Hair Transplant Surgeons at The Private Clinic
- Dr Raghu Reddy MBBS, MRCHP, DPD, GMC Number: 6041095
- Dr Luca De Fazio MD, BSc, MSc, GMC Number: 7095123
- Dr Michael Mouzakis S.C.F in Plastic Surgery, GMC Number: 7237640
- Dr Ismail Ughratdar, MB ChB, GMC Number: 6103427
- Dr Furqan Raja, MB ChB, GMC Number: 7419667
To find out more or to book an hair transplant appointment with any of our hair restoration surgeons or our reputable patient advisors at any of our UK clinics, please call us on 0333 920 2471 or use our online hair transplant contact form.