There was a lot of buzz about last week’s Champions League match between Roma and Cagliari. But perhaps not for the reason, you’d expect. Gervais Yao Kouassi, or as he’s better known to most Gervinho, proved many of his critics wrong by boasting some impressive playing, but no amount of skill could distract from the real talking point; his hair.
The Roma forward’s locks have been a something of interest to many for a long time but, after his famous hair band accidentally came off mid-game during the match, the true extent of his hair loss was shown, provoking a wealth of comments on social media and a score of eager eyes keen to see his hairline again.
Treating Afro-Caribbean hair like Gervinho’s is notoriously difficult. Very few clinics offer hair transplants, and there are very few experts worldwide who practice any form of Afro hair restoration. This is because the roots of Afro-Caribbean hair are curly, which makes extracting for transplantation a highly skilled art that few have relevant experience in. Donor strands can often be destroyed during extraction, or the hair can be simply too curly for successful transplantation. Because Afro-Caribbean hair tends to have a much lower density than Caucasian hair, the technical skill required too needs to be meticulously precise.
Hair Transplant Surgery at The Private Clinic
At The Private Clinic we work exclusively with a method of hair transplantation called FUE, Follicular Unit Extraction. In the treatment, individual strands of hair are extracted from donor areas, normally toward the back of the head, before they are transplanted into the sparsely covered areas. We are one of very few clinics able to perform the treatment on Afro-Caribbean hair, owing to our highly qualified medical team, and we will never go ahead with a procedure that we don’t believe will give the results the recipient is expecting.
Hair restoration surgery helps thousands of people rediscover confidence, but it isn’t always suitable for everyone. As long as you trust your surgeon and are sure in their experience, they can help you achieve realistic goals and better understand the nature of your hair loss.
The Private Clinic prides itself on ensuring you have the best quality and most comprehensive care:
- 24 hour patient helpline to ensure you are always in the best of hands.
- As many post-operative care and appointments with your Hair Transplant surgeon and nursing team as required.
- Highly experienced Hair Transplant Surgeons who have many years of experience.
- Comprehensive patient information, every step of the way.
- Outstanding hospital facilities.
- Our excellent reputation for patient safety and satisfaction, honest advice and outstanding care means your journey with The Private Clinic will be an exciting experience to a newfound head of hair.
- Extensive videos of past patients click here
- Extensive Hair Transplant FAQs click here
- Extensive before and after results photo gallery click here
If you’re suffering from hair loss or would like advice on whether transplantation is an option for you, book an appointment with our team or find out more on hair loss and hair loss treatment.
Hair Transplant treatment is available at our London Harley Street, Birmingham, Manchester, Northampton and Leeds clinics. To find out more about FUE Hair Transplants call 0333 920 2471 or use our hair transplant online contact form.