A bunion, also known as Hallax Valgus, is a deformity of the foot located around the edge of the foot near the big toe. Bunions have a bony and lumpy appearance and often cause the big toe to push the other toes, joining them together, causing the bunion to further stick outwards. Some of the common symptoms caused form bunions can be pain, swelling and redness, even though these may vary between patients.
What causes Bunions?
Bunions are can be formed due to several factors including congenital factors, meaning that if someone in your family has bunions you may be congenitally pre-disposed to having them too.
Bunions can further be a cause of wearing ill-fitting, wearing high heels and uncomfortable footwear or can be due to the anatomy of your foot, which can also play a role in the development of bunions. If you are flat-footed and bunion run in your family is advised that you keep a close eye on your foot as people who suffer from this condition have a higher risk of developing bunions.
What will happen if I do not treat my bunions?
If you do not treat your bunions there is a high possibility this can lead to further issues such as increased pain, difficulty to walk or wear shoes and the risk of developing a hammertoe.
How can I treat my bunion?
There are several ways in which you can help relieve the pain and improve on comfort when wearing shoes, such as bunion pads or bunion corrective braces. However, these are short term solutions, if you are looking for a long term solution for this issue a mini-invasive bunionectomy is the solution.
Bunion Surgery at The Private Clinic.
At The Private Clinic, we exclusively offer a minimally-invasive keyhole bunion removal surgery.
First, our Orthopaedic surgeon Dr Andrea Bianchi will address your suitability via an X-ray of your feet at the initial consultation.
On the day of the surgery, local anaesthetic will be used to numb the foot to be treated before commencing the procedure. With the help and guidance of a special radiological device, the surgeon is then able to proceed to make small incisions of 2-3 millimetres around the bones, referred to as geometric fractures. These fractures do not require the insertion of any fixative devices such as pins or screws to re-align the foot. With this technique, the foot is rather left to heal naturally. Thereafter, your foot will be bandaged using a personalised bandage technique that aids the physiological healing process to spontaneously restructure the foot.
Once the procedure is finalised you will be encouraged to put some weight on your foot, this helps to readjust the natural movement of the foot. You can walk out of the hospital without the need for crutches.
How is the Bunion surgery recovery?
Recovery after the minimally-invasive bunion surgery is fast compared to the traditional bunion surgery, as patients are able to walk immediately and return to work after 1-2 days.
The initial results can be seen at their 2-week post op appointment and the final results are seen a few months after. There is no need for crutches. Patients are encouraged to walk.
Benefits of choosing The Private Clinic to undergo your bunion removal surgery:
- The minimally-invasive bunion surgery is exclusive to The Private Clinic in the UK; no other clinic offers this procedure.
- Patients can walk immediately after surgery, without the need for crutches.
- There is minimal downtime required.
- The procedure is performed under local anaesthesia using keyhole techniques.
- No fixative devices are used.
- This surgery has a 98% success rate.
- Orthopaedic Consultant Surgeon, Mr Bianchi has been developing this technique for over 20 years and performs over 1.000 mini-invasive bunion surgeries per year.
- No need for an overnight stay
- Minimal post operative pain and aftercare.
- No scar, as a result of the 2-3 millimetre incisions.
- The surgery is carried out in our state of the art London Fitzroy hospital.
- We offer a 24-hour patient helpline direct to your nursing team and surgeon to help with any concerns at any time.
- Dedicated post-operative care and appointments with your surgeon and nursing team whenever needed.
- We have an excellent reputation for patient safety and satisfaction, we always provide honest advice and offer the best care meaning your journey with The Private Clinic will always be an exciting experience to a newfound confidence.
To book a consultation with our Orthopaedic surgeon Dr Bianchi call us on 0333 920 2471 or visit our bunion surgery page on our website where you will be able to find our patient stories and see before and after pictures.