As we get older, it is our face that is responsible for revealing most tell-tale signs of ageing – an area of the body we also expose the most. The natural ageing process causes the skin to lose elasticity and volume, which along with gravity, inevitably leads the face to draw downwards and nearer the bone, often leading to unwanted lines, folds and sagginess! To help turn back the time on your face, several non-surgical and surgical facelift options are available, offering youth-restoring, natural-looking results.
A face or neck lift, otherwise known as a rhytidoplasty procedure, is a surgical procedure that can tighten loose skin around your face, jawline and neck region to achieve a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance. The procedure works by first making an incision, lifting skin and tissue prior to repositioning it, and discarding any excess. There are actually five face variations of the facelift, addressing different facial areas, and these are the full facelift, mini facelift, forehead and brow lift, mid-face lift and combined facelift and blepharoplasty procedure:
- Full Facelift: This procedure can achieve a dramatic improvement to your whole face, giving a younger-looking, naturally fresher look. An incision is commonly made at the temple, running along the hairline and round to behind the ears, before lifting the lower and upper face, and removing excess skin, folds and deep lines. The procedure can improve low or heavy brows, deep lines between the mouth and nose and any excess skin in the jowls region, for example. Sagging under the jaw can also be corrected with additional incision under the chin (Pictured right).
- Mini Facelift: Focusing on enhancing the jowls and cheeks in the lower region of the face, this procedure is best for patients with moderate skin laxity and presence of some jowls. The incisions in the Mini Face Lift are much shorter, running from the temples to the natural crease found in front of the area, and the procedure offers minimal scaring with shorter recovery in comparison to the full face lift.
- Forehead and Brow lift (browplasty) – This procedure lifts your forehead, elevating the brows and removing deep lines, and will enhance the overall appearance of your face too.
- Mid-Face Lift (Cheeklift) – A mid-face lift restores the cheeks and lower eyelid area. Sagging, tired cheeks become lifted and the face has a restored, rejuvenated appearance. This treatment can also resolve deep nasal folds.
- Facelift and Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery) – This is a combination procedure used to rejuvenate the eyelids and face.
All of these procedures take between 1-3 hours, with the more extensive procedures taking longer. Many of the procedures only require local anaesthesia, but most patients need general anaesthesia for a full facelift. Depending on the treatment, an overnight hospital stay may also be required. Facelift results can last for several years, and a good skincare routine and healthy lifestyle can help prolong the effects.
To determine the appropriate procedure for you, your Consultant Reconstructive and Plastic Surgeon should assess your skin quality, general health and facial structure. With each patient having a unique face, an expert surgeon should also tailor your surgical facelift procedure to your individual requirements.
Not everyone is willing to have extensive surgery to turn back the years. So we’ve suggested some non-surgical facelift options that can also provide excellent results, including the Thread Lift, 8 Point Lift, Thermage, Face Fat Tranfer and Dermal Fillers. These are all walk-in-out procedures, with no or minimal downtime, and usually take under an hour to complete, aside from the Face Fat Transfer taking approximately 90 minutes:
- Thread Lift: This revolutionary method lifts sagging regions of the face with no need for incisions! The technique uses small biodegradable sutures fitted with bi-directional cones, which work to raise loose tissue on sagging cheeks or jowls, resolving wrinkles, deep lines and a loss of facial volume as well as provide jaw line definition. Offering results lasting up to 18 months, the procedure is able to target the lower jaw, eyebrows, cheek and neck. At The Private Clinic, we offer two variations of the Thread Lift – the PDO Thread Lift and Silhouette Soft Thread Lift. Read about what each can offer on our website.
- 8 Point Lift: The specialised lifting and volumising treatment uses high quality dermal fillers in 8 key facial areas to lift ageing features and rejuvenate the face: the tear trough, mid-face, cheek structure, nasolabial folds, lip corners, pre-jowl area, jawlines and cheek fillers. Also referred to as the ‘liquid’ or ‘fluid facelift’ the procedure uses a precise technique to tackle soft tissue loss, and provides a more complete solution than singular filler treatments. Results for this procedure also last up to 18 months.
- Thermage: Offering more subtle and natural-looking results, this technique uses radiofrequency energy for tightening loose areas, by stimulating natural collagen production. The procedure can target the majority of the neck, facial and décolletage areas, and effects can last for several years.
- A Face Fat Transfer is a great option for those missing volume on the face. The most ‘natural’ facelift option, results are particularly soft and minimal chance of infection or scarring exists. The procedure uses minimally-invasive Vaser Liposuction to remove stubborn areas of fat from any donor site you wish. The fat then becomes refined and injected within the face, to achieve volume and lift hollow areas. Treatment Results can last for several years.
- Dermal Fillers present a popular non-invasive solution for resolving wrinkles and fine lines, contouring the face and restoring volume to facial areas hollowed due to ageing. The procedure involves a small amount of filler, containing hyaluronic acid, being injected into the skin via an ultrafine needle. A few of the corrections possible with dermal fillers include filling out Naso-labial folds (nose to mouth lines), filling in the hollowed area under the eye, adding volume to and defining the cheek and lifting and defining the jaw line. The effects of the treatment should last for approximately 4-8 months but will gradually fade. At this point, you can choose to have a top up treatment, or if you choose to discontinue injections, the dermal filler gel will simply biodegrade and disappear.
With an extensive list of anti-ageing options available, it is important to understand what each involves and is able to offer you. If you are considering any of the non-surgical or surgical facelift procedures, the best way to find out what is appropriate for you is to schedule a consultation with a doctor or surgeon, who can assess your face, resolve any concerns and advice the best course of action for you. It is very important to have realistic expectations and ensure to ask to see results of previous patients to confirm you are making the right choice.
Why Choose The Private Clinic?
We’ve helped enhance the look of our patients for more than 30 years, always affording patients outstanding results and care of the highest quality prior to, during and long after treatment. Achieving a 5 Star Trustpilot Rating and 9.2 TrustScore, choosing treatment with us, you can have peace of mind you’re in the very best of hands.
The leading non and minimally invasive cosmetic group in the UK, we offer some of the most esteemed and sought after aesthetic medical specialists for our non-surgical facelift options. For our facelift procedures, we offer highly respected plastic surgeons, representing the best for facelift surgery within the UK, with extensive experience.
Committed to providing honest and transparent advice, our aesthetic doctors and surgeons will only advise any treatment based on their expert opinion. To book a non-surgical or surgical facelift consultation with one of our aesthetic doctors or expert surgeons please call us on 03339209135 or you can book a consultation via our website.