Are my varicose veins a health risk?
Varicose veins are a relatively common issue shared amongst 40% of the adult population in the UK. Usually varicose veins are caused by pregnancy, genetics, age or being overweight and the main reason for seeking treatment would be if you were unhappy with the appearance. In some cases patients have discussed symptoms such as pain, aching, discomfort, swelling, heaviness or itching which are all common of varicose veins but one the most common questions that our vascular surgeons get asked in consultations is if there is any serious health risk associated with varicose veins?
So are my varicose veins a health risk?
Varicose veins can come with potential health hazards that could put you at risk of blood clots, ulcers and venous diseases although they are still often regarded as relatively low risk.
However, a recent study has been carried out by The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) where they investigated if varicose veins associated with an increased risk of developing deep venous thrombosis (DVT), pulmonary embolism (PE), or peripheral artery disease (PAD). They found that adults diagnosed with varicose veins were at a significantly increased risk of deep vein thrombosis.
Although the association between varicose veins and DVT does still require further research to determine if it fits a common set of risk factors it is still a big jump into getting the true risks of varicose veins properly identified. You can read more about the research here.
So what can be done?
Varicose veins have a wide range of treatments including the NICE Gold Standard treatment of Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLA).
EVLA is a minimally invasive treatment that does not require a hospital stay, treatment takes around 1 hour to complete and you will be able to go home shortly afterwards. The success rate after five years for EVLA is 95.4% meaning that once treated, it is unlikely that your varicose veins will return to the same area. Find out more about EVLA and other varicose vein treatment options here
Why choose The Private Clinic?
- We offer competitively priced, walk-in walk-out procedures.
- Our procedures are performed by some of the Country’s top Consultant Vascular Surgeons.
- All procedures are carried out under local anaesthetic in one of our widely recognised in-house clinical facilities.
- We aim to tackle the actual cause of the problem, which is why we offer all patients a free ultrasound scan at their initial consultation.
- We have carried out over 7,000 procedures, treating patients who have regained their confidence whilst avoiding health issues.
- View our gallery of before and after photos here
- View our extensive list of FAQs here
- View our patient videos here
To find out more about our varicose vein treatments or to book a consultation please call 03339209135 or click here.