Is balding negatively affecting your work life?
Did you know the average person can shed anywhere up to 100 strands of hair each day? Knowing this result makes finding hair strands at the bottom of your shower, or on your hairbrush seems like nothing to raise an eyebrow about – but what happens when you start noticing a few more extra strands?
When your hair follicles become damaged or stressed it can cause them to essentially die and become inactive for long periods of time. This means that any hair loss is no longer replaced and with your existing strands falling out in larger quantities, this may be the time to seek guidance.
Male pattern baldness is the most common type of hair loss in men and is often referred to as androgenic alopecia. By the time you reach fifty you will notice a significant change in your hair with your hair line naturally receding and your hair being thinner. For some however, these changes can happen as early as the age of twenty-one which is not unusual for someone suffering from male pattern baldness.
So with younger men finding themselves faced with this problem, what effect is it having on their work life?
The most common side effect of hair loss and baldness is loss of confidence. It can make the most outgoing person feel more restrained or withdrawn for the sake of not wanting to draw attention to their appearance. Whilst your co-workers, managers or clients are unlikely to be judging you based on your thinning hair – it is likely to be your own feelings about your hair loss that may affect you in a work place environment.
Media and culture have created some really negative feelings over hair loss and over appearances in general. Hair is something that men as well as women use and style in their own personal ways to make themselves feel more attractive and/or well-presented in the office for example. Hair loss is associated with ageing and sometimes even poor health and as a result these connotations can cause some psychological effects with many businessmen and executives who find themselves dealing with self-esteem issues.
In many industries confidence is key so this can have a devastating effect on your work. Hair loss and balding are not likely to directly affect your job but feelings of anxiety and low self-esteem can. You may find yourself missing work days, lacking confidence in meetings and not putting yourself forward for promotions or additional work and unfortunately, it is not uncommon for men to find themselves changing their career paths because of their hair loss.
So what can be done?
If it is apparent that hair loss is negatively affecting your professional life then it is time to take action.
An FUE Hair Transplant involves removing healthy hair follicles from your donor area of healthy hair (which is usually at the back of the head )where the hair is plentiful and grafting them into the balding or thinning areas.
BBC Business News Reporter, Theo Leggett visited us to discuss a hair transplant to help fix his hair loss.
Unfortunately Theo was not a suitable candidate for hair loss at his stage of hair loss but in the radio interview which can be found here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p058zhr0 at 12 minutes in.
Theo is not alone however with 75-80% of people are not actually suitable for a hair transplant and this usually comes down to how healthy your donor hair is.
Theo interestingly goes on to comment how there is a surge in bald celebrities that make the appearance of baldness more accepted and many have succeeded in becoming icons of cool despite their lack of locks. Nick Carvell, associate style editor at GQ magazine has also said that there are plenty of men in the public eye who don’t have a single hair on their head and that there are plenty of role models for bald men out there who have been so successful in different fields of work.
We are big supports of this, after all our motto is “it’s your body” so if you find a way to be comfortable and thrive in it then that is the route for you. However if you know that a hair transplant is going to give you that confidence boost and complete your look then we are here to offer you conscientious and personalised medical treatment.
If you are experiencing hair loss and it is in its early stages the best thing is to visit one of our highly recommended trichologists who will be able to assess and diagnose the extent of your hair loss and recommend further action.
As proven by Theo’s visit, sometimes waiting too long can inhibit your chances of being accepted for a hair transplant so we think it’s better to come in early and have more options open to you.
Hair Loss DNA Test
The Fagron Tricho test is a genetic hair loss DNA test that combines the analysis of genetic variations, lifestyle factors to help patients understand the cause of their hair loss. Once the cause of hair loss is known, it is easier to protect the existing hair follicles through topical, oral or surgical treatment options. One of our hair loss experts will work with you to put together a personal treatment plan to offer you the to help preserve your hair.
The Private Clinic
- Minimally invasive treatment, carried out under local anaesthetic.
- We use the finest instruments, resulting in as minimal trauma to your scalp as possible.
- Highly experienced Hair Transplant Surgeons who have many years of experience in FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and treat hundreds of patients every year.
- No stitches are required after treatment meaning recovery time is reduced compared to Strip (FUT) surgery.
- Our advanced skills, methods and techniques mean results can be undetectable.
- Minimal scarring post-surgery means you’ll be free to wear your hair long or short afterwards.
- We ensure that only the strongest, healthiest follicles are selected for your transplant procedure by working by hair, not per graft.
- Hair is implanted in the direction that matches your hair growth meaning your results will look natural, with denser packing.
- 24 hour patient helpline.
- Comprehensive patient information.
- Outstanding clinic facilities.
- Excellent reputation for patient safety and satisfaction, honest advice and outstanding care means your journey with The Private Clinic will be an exciting experience to a newfound head of hair.
- Our surgeons are the only surgeons in the UK offering the Unshaven Hair Transplant (U-FUE) to those who prefer not to shave beforehand. At your consultation, we will be able to advise you on whether an unshaven procedure is suitable for you.
- View our before and after results gallery
- Find out more information in our blogs
- Read our extensive FAQs
- Hear from previous Hair Transplant patients in our patient stories and videos
- We have clinics nationwide in London Harley Street, Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester and Northampton.
Our specialist hair transplant surgeons
- Dr Raghu Reddy MBBS, MRCHP, DPD, GMC Number: 6041095
- Dr Luca De Fazio MD, BSc, MSc, GMC Number: 7095123
- Dr Michael Mouzakis S.C.F in Plastic Surgery, GMC Number: 7237640
- Dr Ismail Ughratdar, MB ChB, GMC Number: 6103427
- Dr Furqan Raja, MB ChB, GMC Number: 7419667
To book a consultation or get some more information on hair transplants please call 0333-920-2471 or use our hair transplant online contact form.