Acne Awareness Month
June is Acne Awareness Month and we want you to know about what causes acne and how you can treat it. Acne is actually one of the most common skin conditions in the UK, affecting millions of people. While it traditionally affects teens, adult acne is also just as common and is on the rise. Acne can happen in occasional outbreaks, or it can be a constant and have a severe presence. When left untreated, acne can cause scarring, so it is best to treat acne early rather than trying to wait it out. Often, acne does not go away on its own which is why we have asked the London City clinic to give us their advice on what treatments they recommend for acne prone skin.
What Causes Acne?
Acne can be caused by a variety of factors, these include genetics, bacteria, hormones, lifestyle, and stress levels. Smoking leads to an increased level of acne, and pregnancy can cause breakouts too. Puberty is normally the main culprit, with as many as 80 to 90 percent of teenagers suffering from acne. Eating lots of simple sugars in the diet can also contribute to acne outbreaks.
Acne occurs when pores are clogged by dead skin cells that are trapped by sebum production. Bacteria then gets into the clogged pores, where it then multiplies and causes inflammation. This inflammation leads to acne cysts or nodules. Luckily, there are treatments available that can significantly help to reduce both active acne and acne scars!
Our top acne treatments;
- N-light laser treatment – The biggest breakthrough for many years in the treatment of acne is the N-Lite laser. This laser was introduced as a collagen building laser, designed for erasing lines and wrinkles and treating the general signs of skin aging. However, it rapidly became apparent to laser users that it was also possible to achieve very good results on pitted acne scarring, as well as lines and wrinkles
- Dermafrost 12.5% and 25% – This Antibacterial Salicylic Acid peel is designed to treat oily and acne prone skin although it may also be used as an anti-aging treatment too depending on your skin condition. You can expect peeling for 3-5 days after treatment.
- Jessners Peel – An anti-aging peel designed to aggressively treat fine lines, acne scarring, wrinkles and pigmentation. The results we have achieved in clinic are amazing. Patients can expect 5-7 days of peeling.
- Mandiclear – This peel combines the strength of a Jessners peel with the lightening properties of a Mandelic acid peel to target pigmentation related to sun damage or acne. This is our favourite peel for pigmentation issues. You can expect 3-5 days of moderate flaking or peeling. This is our only peel that can treat all skin types.
- Enzyme and oxygen treatment – This is a treatment with soothing and calming properties. It is excellent for use on rosacea, inflamed acne, and sensitive skin. The Cocoa enzymes remove keratin build up and help brighten skin clarity. This calms irritated or inflamed skin while gently exfoliating and leaves skin with a healthy, luminous appearance. The Oxygen Rx treatment has a germicidal action that makes it extremely beneficial for acne and with the combination of an enzyme treatment and oxygen it is able to kill any bacteria that causes the development of acne.
- Dermaroller – This works by causing a ‘mini-trauma’ to the skin which then activates the skin’s healing process. New collagen and elastin is produced which creates brand new skin cells that will fill out any pitted scars or indentations. At the same time, scar tissue is ‘tricked’ into dividing and is then gradually broken down. After a few treatments scar tissue starts to contract and hyperpigmentation begins to fade. The dermaroller also thickens the skin, which simultaneously makes scars less visible. Over time and continued treatments, most scar tissue is removed and replaced with smooth, healthy skin. Using a dermaroller also creates channels through which products can penetrate into deeper layers of skin and therefore work much more effectively than they would normally. Combining a dermaroller treatment with the right products can dramatically speed up the repair process.
The Private Clinic
We are the UK’s leading non-invasive cosmetic group and have some of the most experienced nurses and skin therapists working with us. During your free consultation one of our highly experienced practitioners will talk you through the different types of acne treatments available and explain how they could work for you.