Do I need Liposuction or a Tummy Tuck?
If you’re considering ways to restore your body, it’s hard to know what the best way forward is.
There’s a wealth of procedures available, and several subcategories under each treatment to consider. While it can sometimes feel overwhelming, it’s important to remember that you’re not expected to be an expert – that’s what your surgeon or doctor is there for. There are however, some notable differences between liposuction and tummy tuck procedures which can help you in your research and keep you informed on which is best for you.
The basic thing you need to think about during your research around the two is whether you have any excess skin. If it’s areas of fat alone that you want to rid of, liposuction alone may be enough to give you the results you desire. All variants of liposuction target and remove fat cells only meaning it’s perfect to help add tone and definition to more padded areas where you’re happy that the skin is tight. The treatment is never recommended as a solution to obesity and most clinics will only consider treating those who they believe to be healthy and fit. Even minimally-invasive options like MicroLipo or VASER can still carry risks, and neither are ways to address being overweight or having poor health.
If you don’t have that much fat but find lax skin to be the issue, a tummy tuck will often be a recommended way forward. Many patients find the procedure particularly useful after they’ve lost a large amount of weight and they have generally good muscle tone, but soft crinkled skin that makes the stomach look out of shape. The procedure removes excess skin and tightens relaxed muscles to restore a flatter stomach. In an abdominoplasty (the official term for a tummy tuck) a surgeon will normally make an incision along the lower abdomen to begin with, before the problem skin and muscle is reshaped or removed. It’s often used as part of a ‘mommy makeover‘, which some women use to restore their figures post-pregnancy.
Tummy tuck surgery
Not everyone requires a full tummy tuck, and some are better suited for a mini-abdominoplasty which only targets the lower abdomen. Likewise, some people may benefit from both liposuction and a tummy-tuck (Brazilian Tummy Tuck) to get a more finished result. However, the exact nature of your procedure will depend on what your doctor or surgeon advises on, and your treatment should never be exactly the same as anyone else’s – the key is your individual wants and needs.
Again – this is the reason why your surgeon and clinic should always be one of the most important things you research. While it’s advisable to fully understand any procedure you consider, you’re never going to know as much as a qualified and experienced professional. A doctor who has seen thousands of patients will understand the intricacies of your individual case and will have the background to ensure you only go ahead with a procedure that’s right for you – not only for your safety, but also for their own reputation. It’s never worth it to go ahead with a surgeon because they are cheaper – you’ll find yourself paying for it ten-fold in expensive, revision surgery or – worse still – through your health.
The Private Clinic
We have just one commitment: to provide our patients with the most reputable staff so they can achieve the very best results. Our plastic surgery and liposuction teams are among the most respected in the UK with doctors, surgeons and nurses that are all experts in their field. We have over 35 years of industry-leading innovation behind us, and strive to give our patients a choice of treatments so their solution is as unique as them.
Tummy Tuck Surgeons at The Private Clinic
- Mr Dario Rochira BS, MD, GMC Number: 6130664
- Mr William Van Niekerk, MB ChB, MSc, MRCS, FCMI, FRCS (Plast.), RAF (qs) GMC Number: 4362791
- Mr Navid Jallali BSc MB ChB (Hons) MD FRCS (Plast), GMC Number: 4404969
- Mr Maisam Fazel MA(Cantab) MB BChir MSEd FRCS, GMC Number: 4767420
- Mr Mobinulla Syed MBBS, MSc, PhD, FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 6035480
- Mr Philip Lim BSc (Hons), MB ChB, AFRCS (Ed), MRCS (Eng), FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 4219068
- Mr Adel Fattah, FRCS (Plast.) GMC Number: 4764599
- Mr Prashant Govilkar, MBBS MS MCh FRCS FRCS (Plast) GMC Number: 4258041
- Mr Kenneth Kok MBChB MRCS MSc(Hons) FRCS(plast) GMC Number: 4701147
- Mr Adrian Richards, MBBS, MSc, FRCS (Plast.) GMC Number: 3286812
Vaser & MicroLipo Liposuction Doctors at The Private Clinic
- Dr Dennis Wolf, BSc(Hons), MBBCh, MRCS, DO-HNS. GMC Number: 4773959
- Dr Jacobus Adriaan Vlok, MBChM, MPraxMed, DOH&M, JCPTGP. GMC Number: 6050945
- Mr Philip Lim, BSc(Hons), MB ChB, AFRCS(Ed), MRCS(Eng), FRCS(Plast). GMC Number: 4219068
- Mr Roberto Uccellini, MD. GMC Number: 7416337
- Dr Puneet Gupta, MBBS, MRCGP. GMC Number: 5206982
To find out more about Tummy tuck or liposuction surgery, please get in touch via 0333 920 2471 or request a consultation on our website. Consultations are available in London, Birmingham, Buckinghamshire, Bristol, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Leeds and Manchester